Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Happy Garden Wheel quilt >

Happy Garden Wheel quilt

Happy Garden Wheel quilt

Old 02-24-2016, 05:09 AM

Default Happy Garden Wheel quilt

As many of you may know I design most of my quilts. Occasionally I'll buy a pattern if it really calls to me and I don't feel like doing a bunch of quilty math. Spring is near and I really want to redecorate my spare bedroom. A new wall hanging was needed to replace the one that's in there now. This pattern was the perfect size, 39 inches. I also wanted something fairly easy to make. I've very little sewing time these days due to taking care of my mom and my own daily wifely duties. It worked out perfect, I made the top in about 6 hrs total. Now that was sewing a bit here in there over a 3 day period. Since I didn't design the quilt I wanted to challenge myself in some way. So I decided to use a variety of different fabrics. After digging through my stash I found some vintage swiss dots, you know the old fuzzy ones, a pink fabric with little rose buds, I've no idea what the fabric is made of but I'm pretty sure it's not cotton. And then my adventurous side said what about quilting with linen? What the heck, I see other quilters doing it, so why can't I? Word of warning....if you use several different types of fabric you must pre-wash them all.
So now that it's made I'm stuck on how to quilt it and was hoping you talented gals have some suggestions. Should I go simple? Dress it up with tons of feathers? Maybe some organic quilting? I see a few hours of doing the dreaded quilt stare in my near future. Thanks so much for looking and any suggestions you may have.

Oh I almost forgot to tell you about the pattern.
The pattern is "Happy Garden Wheel" by BlossomandBev. You can find the pattern here http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/quilt...n-wheel/193027
Attached Thumbnails garden-wheel.jpg   gardenwheel1.jpg  
Old 02-24-2016, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

I have never stitched linen so I can't throw any advice your way. There are a lot of interesting patterns on Craftsy.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

it's very pretty
Old 02-24-2016, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

Wonderful, well named quilt. It does look happy!
I think I would go simple with the quilting. don't know how fine a weave the linen is, but if it's at all stiff your quilting won't give it much dimension and may not show up. Definitely quilt a sample first. Maybe a meander on the linen and more detail on the other fabrics?
Old 02-24-2016, 05:32 AM

Because it is a wall hanging I really like your choice of fabrics. They lend themselves very nicely to the pattern you chose. I think it is fun to utilize the characteristics unique to different fibers. I think your greatest challenge will be quilting the dotted swiss fabric because your needle will bounce off of the dots. Perhaps the quilting in the dotted swiss area needs to be simple but I think you could use quite intricate stitching like feathers in the linen areas. Perhaps stitches need to be larger than usual because the threads in the linen are large and thick. I will certainly look forward to what you choose to do.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:53 AM

Love your quilt/wall hanging! Really.

If this were mine, I'd do very simple (the least amount) quilting in everything but the outer borders. There, I'd "fancy" it up a bit. Let the fabric and pattern speak for it's self.

Be sure to let us know what you decide to do. It's really nice.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:57 AM

I remember those pretty prints, I think the one with the woven stripes was called a "leno"?
Old 02-24-2016, 06:33 AM

I love the linen with the other fabrics. Since you seem up for challenges, somewhere on there, I think the borders, it would be a nice addition to see some pretty pearl cotton stitching in a contrasting thread to add to the Vintage feel of your quilt. Very pretty quilt and look forward to seeing it again when the quilting is done!
Old 02-24-2016, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

That quilt is so pretty.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

very pretty and different, love the texture