Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heart Strings - what do you think about the binding?

Blog Entries

Heart Strings - what do you think about the binding?

I am making this belated wedding quilt. It is String Blocks and then free motion quilting all over.

My question - what should I bind it with? I have enough of the tan background fabric to do that, but really think I would rather do scrappy using bits of all the fabrics in the blocks. But, that would mean ALOT of cutting and sewing even before putting the binding on.

Also, I am thinking of just sewing the front and back binding at the same time, rather than sew on front, fold to back, hand sew invisibly.

The reason for my debate, is that I HAVE TO have it done in a week and a half and don't have much time to work on it. I want to enter this in the employee quilt show I chair.

Would it be weird to just do the tan in the quick sew way, just to get it done. But then after the show, which is not judged at all, just has a viewers choice award, remove the tan binding and do the scrappy, with the normal finish?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mom to 1, Gma to 6, Quilting since 2004, Guild member since Jan 2009.
    http://www.onecouchquilts.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/grammatjr/boards/

Beautiful!!!!!

What a great idea for "strings"! Love it.

a small village about 65 miles north of NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by grammatjr View Post
    Would it be weird to just do the tan in the quick sew way, just to get it done. But then after the show, which is not judged at all, just has a viewers choice award, remove the tan binding and do the scrappy, with the normal finish?
    I love the quilt, it's GORGEOUS!

I know myself well enough to know that if I did the tan binding just to get it done and planned to go back later to do the scrappy binding, well ... let's just say I'd rather sew a whole new garment rather than re-sew a button that fell off ... If you are sure you will 'fix' it once you get it back home, then go for it ... but if you're like me, don't, unless you think you can live with the tan binding for a long time!
    He who cuts his own wood is warmed twice, but she who makes her own quilt is warmed forever - SLR 11/7/2011

Blog Entries
    That beautiful quilt needs a scrappy binding. I'm with Mdm though. If I put the tan on, it might just stay. Maybe a good time to experiment with steam a seam or some iron on bias strips just to get 'er done. Let us know. Good luck.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Either border would be lovely. If I were you I'd begin as I intend to continue. If the pieced binding is what you really want, I'd do that and just get it done. However, if you used really long stitches on a temporary machine sewn binding it wouldn't be as hard to remove.
    "Life is mostly froth and bubble, but one thing stands as stone. Kindness in another's trouble, courage in one's own." Adam Lindsey Gordon

That is so beautiful and a scrappy binding would really look great on it. I know that would be a lot more work but how about bigger strips like maybe two per side and that would still look scrappy but not be quite so much work?? Just a thought. Thank you for sharing, it is really beautiful.

Blog Entries
    you did a great job.
    Nancy in western NY

Blog Entries
    I vote for a scrappy binding for this beautiful quilt!
    Helen T.

Blog Entries
    This is an awesome quilt and you did good girl.
    The Future is Now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast