Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
help on bargello fabric selections >

help on bargello fabric selections

help on bargello fabric selections

Old 02-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

This quilt is for my DSD. She requested blues and browns and left the rest up to me. So I decided on a Bargello. Just got my order from fabric depot - woohoo, just the little pick me up on a dreary northeast winter day. Some of these came from my stash and the selection is not set in stone. Here are my selections laid out in the order I think I will do them.
Problem #1. The darkest color on the end I only have 1/2 yard and pattern calls for 5/8 so I am a good 4" short. Those of you who have made Bargello do you think I can get away with it? If not I am not set on this color and think I need something that is more brown.
Problem #2. I do not have a photo editor to switch to black and white so not sure I have the needed contrast going from one color gradation to the next.
Please, those of you who have made Bargellos and those that just have great color sense, offer advice, input and opinions. Thanks so much!

The pattern. I will most likely add borders
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140693[/ATTACH]

all the colors laid out
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140694[/ATTACH]

closer shot of lights
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140695[/ATTACH]

closer shot of darks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140696[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-140688.jpe   attachment-140689.jpe   attachment-140690.jpe   attachment-140691.jpe  
Old 02-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

Your fabrics are bautfiul. I love a lot of contrast, so I am probably no help to you.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:08 AM
MTS
Banned

I think the first part (pic) of the gradation is lovely. It's very soft, but there are value and color contrasts.

The 2nd part needs some ....depth. The last 5 or 6 fabrics (while lovely) are very close in value. The 3rd thru 5th from the end are really close in value and color, and sort of ...grey-ish. That's the part I'd rework. Keep that dark navy, but find a stronger, deeper browns and/or dark values for the end part of that run.

I love the blue/brown combo, in all values. Very classic.

Edited to add:
Look at the picture in the book - se ehow the darkest navy is next to the lightest. That's what makes it pop. If you take your last fabric next to the lightest, and compare it to the navy (2nd from end) with the lightest, the light will pop better with the navy. An even darker brown will make it sparkle.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:13 AM

Hope you don't mind that I used your photo to try and get you a black and white photo.

I used to make a lot of watercolor quilts and what helped me was to sort my fabrics into 5 piles - light, light/medium, medium, medium/dark, dark. I took out all the lightest fabrics first, then the darkest. Of the fabrics left, I again took out the lightest, then the darkest, what was left were the mediums. I've never made a bargello, but I think the concept is the same.

Love the fabrics and colors you have selected!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-141266.jpe  
Old 02-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

Oooo I love these fabrics, they are going to make a stunning bargello :D:D:D
Old 02-05-2011, 10:32 AM

KarenK has the right idea, change your photo to black & white to really show the gradations. Just a little adjusting & you will have a fabulous quilt.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KarenK
Hope you don't mind that I used your photo to try and get you a black and white photo.

I used to make a lot of watercolor quilts and what helped me was to sort my fabrics into 5 piles - light, light/medium, medium, medium/dark, dark. I took out all the lightest fabrics first, then the darkest. Of the fabrics left, I again took out the lightest, then the darkest, what was left were the mediums. I've never made a bargello, but I think the concept is the same.

Love the fabrics and colors you have selected!
Mind!?!!? I get down on my knees and thank you for this! It really makes it show what MTS meant about my last 5 fabs being too close in value and no contrast. I was definitely waffling on those as well. The navy is most definitely a given, thank goodness I can get more of that and have a local source. The end fabric and 5th from the end were not sitting well with me at all either. The 5th from the end has a tad too much green in it as well. Thank you both so much for your input!
Old 02-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Banned

As far as quantity goes, I think you need at a minimum, the amount called for in the pattern. I always get extra, because you may need to re-square your fabric every few cuts (or at least I do). But it looks like you're on your way!
Old 02-05-2011, 01:53 PM

Okay--you said in your PM to hold nothing back. :lol:

My ideas: #6 doesn't see to fit where it is, but I don't know where to put it.

#8 I'd move to one side of the blues to blend a blue group with a brown group--it's perfect for that. #14 and 15 don't seem to fit there. #15 seems the wrong color--is it green/gold? It could just be computer screen differences.

#20 I think I'd try in your gorgeous blue group to add contrast there--then the last three go better together???

Oh I just want to reach through the screen and move things to see if it works!!!

That's what I've got in my notes...

I LOVE your batiks!!!!!!!!! This is going to be an incredible Bargello--I can't wait to see it together!!!

Helpful??
Old 02-05-2011, 03:55 PM

I think your colours are going to be beautiful. As far as the 4" short, don't risk it, I would hate to think you got so far and didn't have enough.......ask me how I kow about this little problem!! :?