Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with border choices

Blog Entries

Help with border choices

I got the center of my Row by Row quilt (American Patchwork & Quilting February 2011) finished tonight but want to do my own borders. Not really...so I am asking for your opinions and ideas. I think it needs some kind of definition and I was thinking a tiny black border (perhaps 1/2 inch) around it and then add staggered blocks of similar floral prints around that in two rows and some kind of pastel binding. If you can think of something totally different, that is okay too. I am open for any suggestions. I won 't get to this for a couple months so take your time. :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Very pretty ~ but I'm no help!

I would use a narrow beige border (the same as used around each block) to frame and "connect" the blocks. After that you can audition a wide border in a darker color. A piano key border with mitered corners might work well too.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I like the above idea of a narrow beige (or whatever that yellowish color is) border. I'd then add a dark blue, wider border.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    No help with borders from me, but I really do like the top you have shown us.

Blog Entries
    I Love your quilt. I don't have an opinion on the borders tho'. It is so pretty.

Blog Entries
    Not sure exactly what you mean by "staggered blocks", but I'm sure that will look good and keep with what you have already. I wouldn't go with black, either, but with the colour of your chain blocks (beige?).
    Barbara

Samuel Johnson - Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed, not by strength but by perseverance.

Blog Entries
    Ok

I say a dark green small border... then some other color that you have lots of........... a little wider

piano keys? ...
    Some people visit paradise, I live there.

I would go for a tiny dark border (maybe not black but one of the dark prints from the blocks). In fact, instead of a border, maybe I'd just go with a flange. Then I'd use the yellow-ish background color & then maybe the floral blocks you were talking about. As beautiful as the block are, I wouldn't get too crazy with the border so the blocks can really shine... they're fabulous!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast