Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help! I can't bring myself to cut it up

Those fabrics work wonderfully together and like others have said use a light and dark neutral for the "framing".
    Lori - MamaBear

I can see why you do not want to cut it smaller.it is beautiful.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Quote Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
    ...so at my house, it's all fair game! Cut it if it requires!
    love that and need to remember it!

That just made me remember... A few years back I made Gram a family quilt. Each of her daughters (3), son in laws, sisters, grand kids, great grand kids, etc. picked a fabric that represented them and I sewed up a simple little block quilt for her. During that process I got my aunts square in the mail and when I opened it was shocked to realize it was part of her wedding dress, that my Grandmother had made and beaded by hand nearly 40 years before. Gram so loved that it was in her quilt, so Cut it if it requires is right! You only live once.

Name:  AAF0764D-6BBD-4449-AED4-A44FD3C3F4E7-2688-000003AC13074245_zpsb1ac356b.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  354.9 KB Grams favorite square.

I think it looks really pretty just the way you have it!

yup gotta say this is a winner. great idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweety2911 View Post
    Ditto here! This was my first thought as I read your post. Beautiful fabric and a white border with black binding will leave you with wonderful memories of your DGM!
    A rolling stone gathers no moss

I can certainly understand your attachment! Some of my material is for petting only, lol! I think what you've done is very nice and I agree with a white/cream border and black binding. I can't wait to see it quilted.

Blog Entries
    very nice fabric. Make something that you can cuddle up in

It is beautiful fabric & I totally get not wanting to cut it smaller... and yes, I also have 'fabric seperation anxiety' issues when cutting or parting with some of my stash. You mean this is not considered normal ?
    Shannon

No, I would not cut the fabric up. I love the way you have put the fabrics together and I think that it works very well. I have read everyone's post and there has been so much mention of a cream border which I think is quite nice but considering the combination you have, would stand out quite a lot especially if it is a thick border. A black border will more or less blend into the quilt as there is a fair amount of black in there already but could make it a little dark. A combination of both would be interesting. I think that it is really your preference as to what sort of effect you want. I will be looking out for your finished quilt to see what you have decided to do. Thank you for the opportunity to offer you my thoughts on this already lovely combination of fabrics.

P.S. Looking at your arrangement again, you could choose to split the red and black stripe fabric and insert a thin cream strip between them and join the 2 flowered strips to either side. That way if you choose to use a cream border that could help balance it a little perhaps? Just a thought. Best wishes.
    Last edited by BizzieLizzie; 01-20-2013 at 02:24 AM.
    Patchwork Crazy!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast