Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Help needed: Michael Miller Fairy Alphabet Panel >

Help needed: Michael Miller Fairy Alphabet Panel

Help needed: Michael Miller Fairy Alphabet Panel

Old 04-12-2011, 08:05 AM

I think I mentioned that I'm not (supposed to be) spending any $ on new fabric. That is, until something at ebay or on sale at fabric.com (or...) gets my attention. (I'm bad, very very bad...)

Well, I fell in love with the Michael Miller fairies. I found an alphabet panel (24 squares covering 26 letters of the alphabet) on ebay for half price. My plan (yes, I'm creating one this time) is to make a 4x6 panel lap or crib quilt with each of the panels outlined in a set of border. I'm now choosing colors. What do you think of the following. Specifically, I'd like your opinion about which green fabric to use as the outer border of each square.

AND do you think I need to pick up the red? (I had a heck of a time finding a decent red.)

Thanks.

Here's the full panel / set of squares
[ATTACH=CONFIG]183165[/ATTACH]

Here's a snapshot of my online design wall with border options
[ATTACH=CONFIG]183166[/ATTACH]

here are the green choices
[ATTACH=CONFIG]183167[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-183159.jpe   attachment-183160.jpe   attachment-183161.jpe  
Old 04-12-2011, 08:08 AM

I like the bottom green one. It's less busy and would be less distracting against the blocks. JMHO! :)
Old 04-12-2011, 08:20 AM
MTS
Banned

I see we're both working diligently today.

If it were me, I would border each letter block with the smallest smidgen (1/4"-1/2" ) of black or dark brown or dark cranberry. A color that appears in the blocks but way way deeper and darker. Just a smidgen. I like the cranberry.

I usually have at least 30 fabrics in my quilts. But I get that's not for everyone.

Those 3 samples are all so very close in value to the fairy blocks. So if you just surround ALL of the blocks with the SAME fabric...it's kind of flat.

The dark little border will help highlight them, and then you can see if you want to use multiple fabrics to border the blocks.

That won't make it too busy, since you'd want to stay in the style of the blocks.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
I see we're both working diligently today.

If it were me, I would border each letter block with the smallest smidgen (1/4"-1/2" ) of black or dark brown or dark cranberry. A color that appears in the blocks but way way deeper and darker. Just a smidgen. I like the cranberry.

I usually have at least 30 fabrics in my quilts. But I get that's not for everyone.

Those 3 samples are all so very close in value to the fairy blocks. So if you just surround ALL of the blocks with the SAME fabric...it's kind of flat.

The dark little border will help highlight them, and then you can see if you want to use multiple fabrics to border the blocks.

That won't make it too busy, since you'd want to stay in the style of the blocks.
What they said.
Oh, and I like the bottom green.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:41 AM

Well, I think MTS said it best. Your color choices are great, just need tweaked a little. Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:56 AM

I like the gold and the bottom green.