Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Possible Drop Leaf Addition? >

Possible Drop Leaf Addition?

Possible Drop Leaf Addition?

Old 03-28-2012, 06:12 PM

Default Possible Drop Leaf Addition?

Good Evening Every1,

I hope that all is well with you & your families. I have a desk that has 3 drawers on the left side. I sew and quilt on this desk. I found it at a thrift store in Snowflake, AZ for $5.00. It was painted gold. I sanded all the old paint off and stained it. Here is my question (for you). Do you think I could put a drop leaf on the back? I went to Home Depot on Monday, and a customer service rep, said that the wood would split. The wood cover behind the drawers is maybe a 1/4" thick. I would like to make the back of the desk longer for quilting. I can not afford to buy a beautiful desk that has all the ""bells and whistles", nor have my husband build me one because we don't have the tools. I was hoping to do it myself. I am asking all of you because your DH's have built you some sewing furniture. I turned to you all because I value your opinions and advice. I will post some pics so that you can see what I am talking about.

I eagerly await your suggestions and feedback. I would also like to hear from any gender that is on the board.

Thank you all in advance for your help with my dilemma.

Have a blessed day.

debra

PS.-I also was thinking of taking the laminate off and cutting a space to fit my sewing machine into. I would like the sewing machine to be fluss with the desk. I also forgot to download the pic of the back of the desk. Not sure how to do it. Thanks for help.
Attached Thumbnails desk-front.jpg   desk-back.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-13-2020 at 07:38 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-28-2012, 06:32 PM

I am no expert, but what if you use cabinet hinges?
Old 03-28-2012, 06:41 PM

A long piano hinge would be screwed into the particle board that is the base for the laminate. Some particle board is strong enough to hold it. I assume you will be putting legs on the extension. That would help with the weight. As far as the top, you can cut through the laminate so it doesn't have to be removed. How are you going to support the machine?
Old 03-28-2012, 06:42 PM

They have what they call a piano hinge that is long and would go the whole length of the top.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:47 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Why couldn't you attach a 1"x 4" x length of desk or a 1" x 4" x length of desk piece of wood at the top of the back, the narrow edge flush with the desk top; and then attach the drop leaf with a piano hinge?

Jan in VA

This view is looking from the back of the table with the tan being the board added to hold the hinge and drop leaf.
Attached Thumbnails sewing-table.jpg  
Old 03-28-2012, 06:50 PM

Wonder what would happen if you got a heavy piece of lumber same size as your desk top, only longer/deeper and then glue and nail that piece over everything. ?? I suppose you would have to put legs on the extended part, however. I doubt that it would be good for bearing down upon to rotary cut things. Do not think it a good idea to try and cut hole for machine. What would hold the machine at that location? Wish DH were home right now I would ask his suggestion. Years ago I sewed upon a church-like luncheon table and it had plenty of room to each side. Then I would put ironing board to the back side at same level when I needed extra width. Just a thought.....good luck.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:56 PM

I have a 5 dollar desk that my husband cut a hole just right for my serger and it sits in the drawer. Had it for 35 years. If that is a piece of board on the back half of your desk, why couldn't you put another on the other side and let you drop leaf rest on those boards. that would take the weight off the desk onto the vertical boards. What do I know? Grin
Old 03-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Power Poster

Where there's a will, there's a way!!!!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:22 PM

Good Evening Again,

I had planned on putting some type of legs on the underside of the drop leaf to help hold the weight. I have a cutting table, so I don't need to use the extension for cutting out anything. . . Thank you all for the suggestions. Please keep them coming. I know that are alot of wonderfully smart people on here & I know my can help me come up with a solution.

Thanks again.

debra

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-13-2020 at 07:39 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-28-2012, 08:46 PM

Yes you can make a drop leaf. Home Depot is so wrong with what they told you.
just make sure you use enough hinges if not one long one And attach a leg for support that would swing away when folded