Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Heritage Quilt Help >

Heritage Quilt Help

Heritage Quilt Help

Old 07-17-2011, 11:37 AM

Being the” genealogy buff” that I am, I have taken the info and photos that I have collected for my grandmother’s family and made a heritage quilt. Although I have hand quilted in the past, this is my first machine-quilted project (my “practice quilt”). I have discovered that for me sewing straight lines and quarter-inch seams are not without some effort (seam rippers . . . hallelujah!). Making half-square triangles . . . another story. This is my design, however, and I have worked on it for several months now, photos being another challenge since many were old, faded, and small. I have all the photos (18) and nine-patch squares completed and sewn together so the first, middle, and last row of photos have been sewn together and are presentable. Well, most of the squares fit together; I can live with them!

Question 1: A, B, and C are the fabrics (placed so you can see better images—not part of quilt) I used so you can see how the design goes together using these fabrics. I want to incorporate the two written strips in the quilt. They would be 36 inches across and have the writing that you see. My dilemma . . . my first thoughts were to print them but printing 36-inch banners are a challenge. My next thought . . . embroidery, which would make the quilt look more finished, I think. My question . . . can anyone on the Board do this or know of someone who could embroider these strips for me at a reasonable price. I know there are embroidery experts out there. I can hand embroider but believe machine embroidery would look more finished. Your thoughts on this.

Question 2: The triangle diamond blocks are made from fabric A and B. The contrast between the two fabrics is more defined on the computer than finished product. Photo 2 shows some finished blocks. What do you think? I think the cream fabric as diamond shape center would not quite right. Is there enough contrast?

My thanks to all the quilting experts on the Board. I have picked up so many tips and learned so many things from you . . . you are such a supportive expert group of ladies and gents.

Quilt Design
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227821[/ATTACH]

Finished Blocks and Fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227822[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-227815.jpe   attachment-227816.jpe  
Old 07-17-2011, 12:15 PM

Let me say that I love what you are dong. It is absolutely a wonderful history of your family.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:17 PM

You are doing a beautiful job. I can't help you with the embroidery but think your color selections are good. What a family treasure.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:51 PM

It looks great! There is enough contrast. The muted fabrics are a great choice to go with the old photos. You are doing a wonderful job on it! :thumbup: :-D :thumbup:
Old 07-17-2011, 01:36 PM
MTS
Banned

Personally, I think you need to swap out the A fabric.

While muted is great for the style of the quilt, you can hardly see the actual square in a square piecing in the block.
The block looks nicer in the 1st pic than the actual block does - and I don't think the white would be good substitute.
The bright white would take away from those banners - which I'm sure someone here can embroider for you.

You just need to go a bit lighter for the tan fabric, so it contracts nicely with the B fabric (just like your original picture)

I think your family photos and 9 patch blocks look fabulous.

You did a terrific job in designing a really striking layout, and your family is going to love and treasure it for years to come.

And welcome!!
Old 07-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

I think you are doing a fabulous job.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:38 PM

Beautiful design! What a wonderful way to preserve family history.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
It looks great! There is enough contrast. The muted fabrics are a great choice to go with the old photos. You are doing a wonderful job on it! :thumbup: :-D :thumbup:
ditto!
Old 07-18-2011, 05:40 AM

What a treasure. I think your fabrics are a good choice. Good luck on finding someone to print your written strips. They definitely need to be incorporated. Keep us posted on your progress.