How do you quilt a "2-sided" quilt? >

How do you quilt a "2-sided" quilt?

How do you quilt a "2-sided" quilt?

Old 03-28-2011, 07:08 PM

Absolutely LOVELY quilt top!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:46 PM

That quilt is STRIKING !!!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:12 AM

Absolutely beautiful. I just love the restful, comfortable look of your top and that is a good idea for the back. I was wondering if you could just use a large solid piece for the main back and use the blocks as borders for the back, that way your SID or X from the front will have more attention and you will still be able to use all your scaps and more around the border of the back.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by annlouise
Absolutely beautiful. I just love the restful, comfortable look of your top and that is a good idea for the back. I was wondering if you could just use a large solid piece for the main back and use the blocks as borders for the back, that way your SID or X from the front will have more attention and you will still be able to use all your scaps and more around the border of the back.
The only large piece of fabric that I have is a piece of denim-like material (med. blue...not dark like the front). It's not as heavy as blue jeans but it's heavier than the other fabrics on the back so I wasn't sure it would work well.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by karenm36
Well, thanks to everyone that encouraged me...my quilt top is done! :-) I took it to the LQS with a sheet that I was going to use as a backing and the 2 women there discouraged me from doing so for numerous reasons. This particular sheet may not have been in the best condition (though I thought it was fine) so I agreed with their assessment...BUT still do not want to have to purchase more material for the back as I'm on a very tight budget. They suggested I see if I could piece the back with all the scraps that I had left over from the top.

The scraps are from some yardage...but most are from shirts so I'm limited with the size that I can use. I opted on 10 inch finished squares as I could maximize the use of my material with that size. Well...suddenly I realized that this is becoming a reversible quilt! Unintentionally...but I think it's going to be okay. But now here's my dilemma...

1)How does one quilt the top (that's on point) when the back is going to be so different?

2) I have only quilted one other quilt before this and it was smaller and it was SID. I did fine with it but originally thought with this one I would stitch an "X" through each square (doing a kind of grid pattern) since I have only a regular sewing machine.
But now since there's a whole other thing going on the back...would it be better if I did something else? And if so, what would look good?

3) I do have my mother's sewing machine and I recently purchased a free motion/darning foot to use on it...but I haven't used it yet. Is this something I should consider? Not sure I'm ready for it...or even if I can handle so much quilt through my machine.

Would really love to hear from those of you who have just a basic sewing machine...how do you quilt your large quilts and what would you do in this case?

Thanks so much! Karen
Karen,

I have been contacted by a quiltingboard member here who would like to "pay it forward" by buying a backing fabric for you and having me to quilt your top with my longarm machine. This person is a very generous lady and it would do her heart good if you would accept her generous offer. Please let me know and we will get it all set up for you.

Thank you very much,
Sherryl
Candlequilter