Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make this block look better?

This is one of the blocks my Grandmother made over 35 years ago. It was found in her attic when we cleaned her house. My Grandmother was a hoarder.....so this block was buried under lots of other stuff. Its stained and the material she made it on is flimsy to say the least. I think it is muslin....that's what the lady at the fabric store thought too. So far what I've done is to place these blocks on a new piece of muslin and sew them on that. This one though is so stained. I've tried everything I thought was safe to wash it in and this does not come out. I'm wondering if it would look ok to just cut Sue out and machine applique her on a new block? Or should I just leave it alone and deal with the stain? For some reason photobucket is not working for me so this is on flickr and it won't do a picture for me.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7232276@N03/3887095814

You can probably snip the threads and replace her on new muslim

I have some old blocks made in the 30's by my MIL. I plan to lay them on muslin and frame them, not trying to clean them, but to make them into something her great-grandchildren can have as a remembrance of her.
    June

I don't know anything about applique, but cutting her out and putting her on a new piece of fabric sounds good to me.

I know you said you have tried eveything to clean them, but I have great success using a mixture of white vinegar and baking soda. If that doesn't work maybe the next best thing would be to snip her out and use a new background.

this one will be going into a lap quilt. Everything else is done except fixing Sue. I was just going to leaver her be but seeing her in the middle of the new blocks makes her look even worse.

Somewhere near the water in beautiful Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by ginnie6
    .... I'm wondering if it would look ok to just cut Sue out and machine applique her on a new block? Or should I just leave it alone and deal with the stain? ....
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7232276@N03/3887095814
    Ginnie,

I would be concerned that "machine applique" would look odd if your Grandmother did her applique by hand. I think you've got some great advice already, but try the vinegar & baking soda thing first. If that fails, then I would carefully clip Sue off her background and re-stitch her to a new background, using the same technique Grandma used. If you think she calls too much attention to herself now, she's bound to call even more to herself if you use a "foreign" technique to re-apply her.

I would also be worried that perhaps machine applique here might damage Sue herself even more. If the fabrics are fragile, all that piercing by a machine might damage her beyond salvation.

Just my thoughts, but I'm confident that you will eventually come up with the right solution to your problem.

Good Luck!

Odessa

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninnie
    You can probably snip the threads and replace her on new muslim
    i was thinking the same thing :D

I haven't tried baking soda and vinegar! will do that today. Its only the muslin that is fragile. The other fabric seems to be in good shape.

I wouldn't clip sue off at all. I would be worried it wold never look right. I would trim the muslin around sue about 1/4 inch and turn that under and restitch right over her onto new background.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast