Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I love old feed sack fabric >

I love old feed sack fabric

I love old feed sack fabric

Old 03-11-2014, 06:11 AM

Default I love old feed sack fabric

In the last few years I have developed a love for old feed sacks. I just bought several from a lady that contacted me on this board. They were just absolutely wonderful. Take a look at some of them and tell me what you think.
Attached Thumbnails 044.jpg   057.jpg   037.jpg   008.jpg   011.jpg  

021.jpg  
Old 03-11-2014, 06:16 AM

OMGsh! I REMEMBER that first red and white print. My mom had made for me a summer set of sleeveless shirt and shorts.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:30 AM

I like feed sacks also, I probably have 30 or so. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them. Right now I have them rolled up in a basket. I have several antique quilts that are made from feed sacks that my great-grandmother made.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:35 AM

That brings back memories. I grew up in the country in Ohio. There was a hatchery next door that sold chicken feed in these sacks. My sister, neighbor and I loved to go around and choose our favorite. That was about 70 years ago!!! Gail G. . . . That is amazing!! What are the odds???
Old 03-11-2014, 06:53 AM

I love feed sack fabric and yours is great! Unfortunately I don't have any, but I admire it. I do have a couple of books on the subject and love gazing at the pictures & reading about it. Enjoy your new feedsacks.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:57 AM

Growing up in Benton, AR in the mist of WWII feed sacks were an important source of fabrics for our family. They were very pretty and I think it took 3 sacks to make a child's dress. My family also used them for pillow cases which in those days were starched an ironed. Of course there were lots of quilts made from these feed sacks. Then there were flour sacks, coffee sacks, sugar sacks. The flour sacks, for 25lbs, were used to make bed sheets.(The flour had been used to make biscuits every morning and of course the cakes, pie crusts, etc. These all had flat felt seams joining four sacks. Some of the flour sacks were used for dish drying cloths. In fact I still have some of these that my mother made a few years ago. She had saved these sacks for years, then one day just sat down and started getting them hemmed up for dish cloths. I love them. After coffee was no longer in sacks it came in big square glass jars which were,, when emptied, saved to store the sugar which no longer came in sacks.

Enjoy your feed sacks. They represent (to Me) a time when life was not so rushed and a time when people were very careful to make use of things that were available. In WWII things were hard to come by and families were very ingenious to utilize everything to its fullest. I hope our recycle system today will help our future generations.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:59 AM

They are treasures, too beautiful to cut .... but a quilt made from them would be absolutely the best. Have fun with them.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:02 AM

Lucky lady. I have heard my Mom talk for yrs about how my grand mother made her clothes out of feed sacks. I hope at the stories get passed on down the line to future generations. I have been writing down stuff and Old Wife's tales in a journal for my grand-daughter in hopes some day she will read it and pass it on.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:45 AM

They are lovely, i work many dresses make out of feed sacks when i was little.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:52 AM

I love them, too. They remind me of my great-grandmother's quilts. Are they expensive to buy?