Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I need help with picking out a border >

I need help with picking out a border

I need help with picking out a border

Old 02-16-2013, 04:48 AM

Default I need help with picking out a border

I just finished this yesterday. It is suppose to be surrounded by a light brown 2 inch border then an almost black 3 inch border followed by a 8 inch light brown outter border with oak leaves appliqued all around in last border. Here is the thing my applique skill stink--I don't want fusible because of its stiffness so I am rethinking the borders and not sure what I want. Hubby suggest french braid border but because this was a kit I don't have enough fabric, I do have some that is close in my stash but not exact.

I am so happy with how this part has turned out I don't want to ruin it with a boring border or an appliqued one that all I see are mistakes. This will be on our bed so I will see them often. :-)

So any suggestions? I scoured google last night and found a few but wanted to ask ya'll for opinions. Thanks for your help
Attached Thumbnails small.jpg  
Old 02-16-2013, 04:58 AM

What about going with a cool color from inside the diamond like the turquoise or purple
Old 02-16-2013, 05:09 AM

Yes, you need a color to 'cool' down your hot colors. Maybe one of the lighter pinks I see in the lower right hand center as an inside border, or the turquoise, then strips of the colors you've already used. I wouldn't use an applique on that quilt even if I did do applique, which I don't! I can't imagine adding brown fabric to it.
Let us know what you finally decide, and the results.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:24 AM
bjr

I would use a bright pink small inner border and a larger purple outer border...I would not use brown in the border. :-)
Old 02-16-2013, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

wow, great quilt. sorry, no suggestions
Old 02-16-2013, 05:51 AM

I would go with one or more narrow borders of the brights and wider borders of the turquoise and purple. Maybe narrow gold, wider turquoise, narrow hot pink, then wider purple.
Or if you choose to introduce the browns you could intersperse them in a multicolor border between the turquoise and purple.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:55 AM

the latest trend is to go without a border - Your quilt is beautiful by itself - I think a border may detract from it - and then you have defined a color point - which is not necessarily what you want to do. If you don't see it - send it to m . . it would have a great home!
Old 02-16-2013, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Lovely top! Do you have enough material to add one border in the same fabric and the same width as your squares? After doing that you could add the pieced border of your choice or even a large border of the fabric that is close from your stash.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

I think a thin border of your darkest color and then the gold or whatever color that go with your bedroom colors the best. Your quilt is beautiful and full of gorgeous colors and whatever border you put on it will only enhance it. Since it is for your bedroom go with your favorite colors. Also since this is a kit, a visit to the quilt shop with top in hand will help you decide what fabric would look the best. Please show a picture when you finish the top, would love to see what you decide to do
Old 02-16-2013, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

I vote two borders
your lightest first small and then your darkest.