Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I need your help please! >

I need your help please!

I need your help please!

Old 03-16-2011, 06:01 PM

I am a breast cancer survivor and would have loved a quilt like this. Your friend is going to be so thrilled. I would enjoy a small border then a larger pink border as that is the color for breast cancer. Just my choice. I would want it long enough to cover my feet and come up under my arms while lying on sofa.
Did anyone give her a breast cancer pillow? A heart shape pillow about 9" given to me was so useful under the seat belt in the car. 2 little 5x7 pillows were so helpful under my arm for about a year while I healed. Would be nice to coordinate with the quilt. She will love whatever you decide because it is made with love. What a great friend you are who happens to be her cousin!!
Old 03-16-2011, 06:12 PM

I would add one more row for the width. 36 inches will just cover, but if you shift position parts will come out the side. If you want to make it for travel and during chemo, you could make it a row shorter since she will likely be using it while sitting in a recliner and won't need covered head to toe.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:52 PM
jme

I think yellow or maybe red for your 1st border and then I like the piano keys idea for a larger border. Looks great!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by Antdebby1
I made these pinwheel blocks because I love 30's fabric and wanted to do something different. I want to finish the quilt and send it to my cousin who is battling breast cancer.

The blocks will be 6" when finished. Right now on the design wall I have 6 blocks across and 9 down. Are the proportions right? Should I make it wider? Shorter?

Also, what about borders? I thought a small solid border (not sure what color) and then take scraps and make a wider border. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help!
36 x 54 will require borders of about 6 iches all around to make it comfortable. Although I'd add one more row of 6 for a total length of 10 blocks. With the 6 inch borders that's 72. About right to tuck you feet in and pull up to your chin. You can make the border a combo of 2 or three colors to finish it out. Or use one color is that suits you.
:thumbup: :thumbup:I think I would make it wider too!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by bigsister63
I have been making a "nap" size quilt that usually measures 63 x 75 give or take an inch. You might want to add 2 row across and 2 row down to make it about 48x66 with out border and then add 4-6 in border making finished size 60 x78. You could also add sashing between 4 blocks making 12 x12 blocks out of 4 squares. Any size that you make will keep her warm with you love and kindness!
This sounds perfect size!!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Power Poster

I like your thoughts about the borders.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Power Poster

Nice quilt, I also really like the 30 fabrics.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:12 PM

They are looking very nice. I'd do a thin white border and then a thin scrappy another thin white and put the binding on. Or a thin white border and a piano key and bind in one of your favorite colors.Your cousin is going to love this, how nice of you to make it for her.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:25 AM

n these prints I love a small narrow yellow thena red... it really pops the red in the quilt and carry's your eye.
Whatever you put will be great.
Very nice of you to give it away.
ConnieF
Old 03-17-2011, 10:48 AM

Love your quilt. With borders, I think the size is pretty good. If you are going to do a scrappy outer border I would suggest a plain white inner border. I have made a number of what i call comfort quilts for people battling cancer. The need to be large enough to be useful and small enough to be easily taken along. Everyone I know who has had chemo says the process makes them cold whether it is the temperature of the room or of the the liquid being put into their bodies. I am sure your cousin will appreciate this quilt very much.