Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I'm learning >

I'm learning

I'm learning

Old 08-17-2011, 06:07 AM

I think I'm wearing my feelings on my sleeves, but I'm hurt. I just sent my niece and nephew quilts (full-size) for their graduation presents. I insured them and tracked them and know that they were delivered on Saturday (today is Wednesday). Still haven't heard a word from them. I have about $200 in each quilt plus the labor and I think a phone call or e-mail would have been nice. Their mom (my sister-in-law) has also never acknowledged the Christmas ornaments I made for her last Christmas. Guess I'll get them storebought gifts from now on. It isn't worth it to work on something that is not appreciated. Here are pics of the items I sent. Am I being unrealistic?

Neice's quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242996[/ATTACH]

Nephew's quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242997[/ATTACH]

SIL's Christmas ornaments
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242998[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-242990.jpe   attachment-242991.jpe   attachment-242992.jpe  
Old 08-17-2011, 06:08 AM

I'm sorry your feelings are hurt - but some people just don't get it.

Your gifts are lovely.

Take pride in your job well done and gift freely. It will come back to you - but maybe not from your family.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:09 AM

Sometimes you have to get your joy from the doing of something you love...Naomi :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 08-17-2011, 06:10 AM

That is very dissapointing! But if you never get any acknowledgement of their gifts, why do you gift them at all? Will it bother you less if they don't acknowledge a store bought gift? It is a shame that nobody sends thank you notes anymore? or even a thank you email. Manners are a thing of the past I guess. . .
Old 08-17-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by New Quilter
Sometimes you have to get your joy from the doing of something you love...Naomi :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thanks. That is exactly what I needed to hear. Let me get over myself and do what I love.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

I think a phone call is in order just to make sure that they actually got them. I have heard of packages being left by the front door or on the porch. If they got them and didn't acknowledge them, at least you know they weren't ripped off.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:44 AM

You do beautiful work. Your quilts and ornaments are lovely. :thumbup:
Old 08-17-2011, 06:46 AM

It is difficult to understand why people just don't call and say thanks. I too have relatives who would not appreciate any of the handmade items I make so I choose to give to those who will. Those quilts are beautiful!
Old 08-17-2011, 06:56 AM

It's too often in this modern day society, that people don't have the decency to thank people for handmade gifts or even store bought gifts. Your gifts are beautiful, but I don't know if I would have made anything for the niece and nephew, since you had made Christmas ornaments for the mother and she didn't bother to send a thank you or a phone call for them, so obviously she didn't bother to teach the children to send thank you's for gifts. Personally, I wouldn't bother buying them gifts either, but do whatever is comfortable for you.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:07 AM

This is so sad. I`m not the best quilter (starting a class soon) but I can`t count how many I1ve made for our family. I enjoy making kids quilts....no critics there. They pick out what they want, and I can piece squares to gether, I learnd how to make pillow cases here on the board. Next sunday my grand son will get a racing car quilt & checker flag pillow case. But I have children that don`t like home made stuff, and I embroidered a quilt for a friends Ann. And it didn`t go very well. I tried, made it her favorit colors & flowers, & worked on it almost a year. I`ll stay with the little ones, you can tell right away how much they like it.