Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I'm recruiting a new member of the quilting world >

I'm recruiting a new member of the quilting world

I'm recruiting a new member of the quilting world

Old 09-27-2016, 12:52 AM
Power Poster

She is precious, and another sewer/quilter for life.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by jodypeabod View Post
She is so cute and lucky to have such a nice Grandma.
What model of Janome machine did you find? Looks like a nice machine for $17.00.
it is a Harmony 1017. the woman at the yardsale said her mother had bought it for her new and she never used it. she wanted $25 which I would have given her but I offered her $17 and she said sure. It sews like a dream. I had a Simplicity I paid almost $200 for and hated it. gave it to my daughter.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:35 AM

Wonderful that she is starting early. Some folks go on to stardom in their kingdom because they seem to have a natural affinity for sewing/machine work. Maybe she will be one of those creative geniuses!
Old 09-27-2016, 10:58 AM

Love yard sales, grandchildren, and quilting. She is so cute, and ready to sew.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

I just love this story! The little girl is adorable and looks so happy with her new machine. Now go through your stash of rippers, scissors, threads and materials so she has some things of her own. My mother had passed away and I was offered all of her sewing things. I had them all put away and recently bought a machine for my niece. I gave her all of mom's things plus much more. I also gave her buttons, lace and decorative trimmings, bias tapes and elastics, materials that had small prints and child images on it. And also tons of pins, needles and embroidery floss with those iron on images. I also found a toy iron that didn't get too hot, but worked and a small ironing board. All in an antique pink wicker sewing basket and a large plastic bin to keep it organized.

She was a natural and amazes everyone with her ability to figure out almost any project on her own. She was nine when I gave it to her though. She was too unsettled until then to trust her with the machine alone. It also was a janome starter machine I gave her for christmas. She would be occupied for hours at a time while staying at my sister's for the weekend.

When she was little her favorite "blocks" were empty thread spools, a rounded pair of scissors and colorful fabric to cut up to glue and play with.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 09-27-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:52 AM

to cute, welcome to the quilting world have fun ..
Old 09-27-2016, 12:46 PM

Such a cute picture--more importantly, this might just be life changing. A nice lady at a used furniture place sold me my first machine, a singer treadle, when I was 7. It absolutely changed my life. I made all of my own clothes by the time I was 10, owned 2 fabric stores by the time I was 20. After I married and had a child, I sewed for paying customers so I could stay home with my baby. Now, I quilt. It was absolutely the best $7.50 ever spent! I hope you little Delaney can have such a wonderful experience! Go Delaney....
Old 09-27-2016, 02:15 PM

What a smart lady you were to pick up that Janome for your granddaughter......She will learn to love it and all you teach her to do with it....you might even like it too. I had a Janome Gem that went to classes with me and it was a big hit. Then I was gifted with a featherweight made in my birth year so the Janome went bye-bye!
Old 09-27-2016, 04:02 PM

It is so nice for a young person to start sewing as she will have the interest all of her life. Good job getting her a machine.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:25 PM

She's adorable. I tried to get my 1st grandson (now 10) interested in sewing when he was around 5...no way. Now I have another grandson 3 1/2 (don't think so with him either), I'll have to wait until my only grand daughter gets a little older (just turned one)....Tried teaching my daughter, but with 2 little ones, just has no time...maybe someday