Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • I'm recruiting a new member of the quilting world >
  • I'm recruiting a new member of the quilting world

• I'm recruiting a new member of the quilting world

Old 09-28-2016, 12:05 AM

Building Memories. That's what my friend and I would say when we did various things with our children. Our children are grown and now have children of their own ... but we all often say "... do you remember when we ...". What a great skill to pass on.
    Old 09-28-2016, 05:21 AM

I gathered her us some things but love your ideas of the zippers lace etc. what wonderful memories we make with children when it comes to sewing and sharing our craft with them and teaching them. I love watching children learn more than electronic games.

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
    I just love this story! The little girl is adorable and looks so happy with her new machine. Now go through your stash of rippers, scissors, threads and materials so she has some things of her own. My mother had passed away and I was offered all of her sewing things. I had them all put away and recently bought a machine for my niece. I gave her all of mom's things plus much more. I also gave her buttons, lace and decorative trimmings, bias tapes and elastics, materials that had small prints and child images on it. And also tons of pins, needles and embroidery floss with those iron on images. I also found a toy iron that didn't get too hot, but worked and a small ironing board. All in an antique pink wicker sewing basket and a large plastic bin to keep it organized.

She was a natural and amazes everyone with her ability to figure out almost any project on her own. She was nine when I gave it to her though. She was too unsettled until then to trust her with the machine alone. It also was a janome starter machine I gave her for christmas. She would be occupied for hours at a time while staying at my sister's for the weekend.

When she was little her favorite "blocks" were empty thread spools, a rounded pair of scissors and colorful fabric to cut up to glue and play with.
    Old 09-28-2016, 05:31 AM

What a great story. And such a cutie-pie! What a nice life-long skillset and gift you've just given her. Good job, Nina!