Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Iris Applique Quilt

I have to share one more quilt with you all. This is my "old maid" quilt. It was made by my Great Aunt Edna in Missouri. I received it when I was in my mid 20s. The relatives in Missouri just knew that if I was still single then I would never get married. Ha! I think my Great Aunt was chuckling when she sent the quilt to me. I had the last laugh though. I got married when I was 28. :lol:
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I love it , Iris is one of my favorite flowers. I think everyone should wait to about 30 to get married.......got a few life smarts by then

Ok, I can't see squares.it is one piece?

Boo
    Glad you held out for the old maid quilt. LOL It is a treasure to be sure.

Love it! Old Maid indeed! Ha! What a sweet memory for it though. Do these have labels and stories to go with them? Would be a sweet thing to pass on to the newest "oldie" :D

Ruth, I had to go look. I had forgotten how this was assembled. Each iris is appliqued on an elongated hexagon. Those were pieced together then. Aunt Edna hand quilted it too which makes it even more precious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SandraJennings
    Love it! Old Maid indeed! Ha! What a sweet memory for it though. Do these have labels and stories to go with them? Would be a sweet thing to pass on to the newest "oldie" :D
    No label but you are absolutely right. I need to make one and attach it so my girls will remember the story behind the quilt.

Blog Entries
    you are so lucky to have such a wonderful quilt, it is absolutely a work of art! What a beautiful heirloom to pass down to your girls :D

lin
    The hand work on that quilt is stunning! I think the quilt went to just the right person. You obviously treasure it. :-o