Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
ironing board >

ironing board

ironing board

Old 06-20-2014, 08:31 PM

Love your cover!! Great job.

i had an old cover that I recently replaced (not as ingenious as you), and when I took it off, I was surprised that I had never noticed it had a ribbon sewn on one side, and a loop on the other. The ribbon ran through the loop, with a piece of velcro attached at the appropriate places, to hold the cover taunt. Sounds like you found a fix, but if it doesn't work, you might try that little trick.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:39 PM

I like it!

I did a similar thing; I press fabric in the living room and the ironing board was a real eyesore and my fibro/arthritis were getting worse so standing was becoming more difficult. So I took 2 nightstands from my "grands" room, bought a piece of melamine covered helving and covered it with some canvas like striped fabric that looks much better than an ironing board. I ue a dining room chair to sit at it and press away.

It's also handy when the grands are here. The laptop sits on top of it and we can easily monitor what they are doing on the internet.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:43 PM

I bought one of the old wooden ironing boards at Good Will. DH decided it had an asbestos batting inside the cover and insisted that it be thrown out. I think he was right about the asbestos, too. The cover looked like it had never been used, which would explain how it lasted so many years.

Since I've done my share of 'insisting' about stuff and he has complied, I allowed him to put it in the trash.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:33 PM
Power Poster

Well done....very practical and really quite attractive.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:11 PM

If it is 100% cotton canvas! it will shrink tighter on the board if you spray with water. I have made a large board to go on top of my board and I spritzed it several times after I stapled it to make the fabric tighter. I also made a slide on pillow case type cove that I can take off and wash. When it gets yuckie, I whip a new one up out of inexpensive muslin...keeps the original board looking nice.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:29 PM

Call me cheap in Wpg/Manitoba.. Went to a guild workshop, borrowed quild iron, ironed sparkly fabric and damaged the iron, and the ironing board was worn out, they removed and I shadowed behind took out of garbage the foam backing and traced the top.. Now my ironing board has foam patting, which it never had when bought it.. Never had such nice board. El Cheapo..
Old 06-22-2014, 08:34 AM

Great job! This is my next project ,too! Love how you "made " it work !