Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 73

Thread: Just finished this Rail Fence Top

  1. #1
    Senior Member Jenni M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Portsmouth, Ohio
    Posts
    807
    I just finished up this rail fence quilt top for the memorial scholarship I am doing. What do you think about the backing fabric?

    Also...help me here, the top measures 61 X 72 so how many yards do I need for the backing.

    Jenni's Rail Fence May 2011
    Name:  Attachment-192545.jpe
Views: 61
Size:  54.3 KB

    Possible backing Fabric - Your Thoughts?
    Name:  Attachment-192546.jpe
Views: 54
Size:  52.8 KB

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,668
    Very nice rail fence quilt. Can't help with answer about the backing as I am not very familiar with chosing good backing fabrics.

  3. #3
    Senior Member lheartsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    small town Jersey
    Posts
    590
    great quilt.
    but I am not crazy about the backing.. looks like the quilt is more of an deep aqua blue, where the backing is a different shade...

  4. #4
    Power Poster erstan947's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    12,087
    Blog Entries
    47
    Love the backing fabric:) Quilt is very nice. Good color choices:)

  5. #5
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    13,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni M
    I just finished up this rail fence quilt top for the memorial scholarship I am doing. What do you think about the backing fabric?

    Also...help me here, the top measures 61 X 72 so how many yards do I need for the backing.
    I like the backing fabric but for another project. That is, if your colours are somewhat true for both the top and backing, they don't blend together. If they do blend, then it would be something I would use.

    Backing .... two widths (2x40" = 80") will be enough for the length of your quilt.

    You need twice the 61" width plus the extra width for putting in the frame. I'd buy 2 x 2 yards = 4 yards.

    If you are binding with the same fabric ... you'll need extra for that.

  6. #6
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,477
    Hi Jenni, love your rail fence. I'm not very fussy about backing fabrics.I don't think it has to blend perfectly (if it doesn't)The one you chose looks fine to me.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Jenni M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Portsmouth, Ohio
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni M
    I just finished up this rail fence quilt top for the memorial scholarship I am doing. What do you think about the backing fabric?

    Also...help me here, the top measures 61 X 72 so how many yards do I need for the backing.
    I like the backing fabric but for another project. That is, if your colours are somewhat true for both the top and backing, they don't blend together. If they do blend, then it would be something I would use.

    Thanks for the math lesson. I have such a hard time calculating for the backing!

    Backing .... two widths (2x40" = 80") will be enough for the length of your quilt.

    You need twice the 61" width plus the extra width for putting in the frame. I'd buy 2 x 2 yards = 4 yards.

    If you are binding with the same fabric ... you'll need extra for that.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Jenni M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Portsmouth, Ohio
    Posts
    807
    Any other suggestions for the backing color?

    HERE ARE THE TOP AND POTENTIAL BACK A LITTLE CLOSER TOGETHER
    Name:  Attachment-192559.jpe
Views: 64
Size:  43.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  9. #9
    Super Member Homespun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    McLoud, OK
    Posts
    5,672
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    Love the backing fabric:) Quilt is very nice. Good color choices:)
    my thoughts exactly!

  10. #10
    Super Member Kitsapquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Port Orchard WA
    Posts
    2,292
    The backing fabric is pretty but it would not be my first choice for this quilt. I would try to find something that is closer to the same color as the light in your quilt. Of course I know pics are deceiving sometimes so if this matches better than it looks on here then it would be fine. Like someone else said I don't think it has to exactly match but at least have a design in it that somewhat matches. Maybe for the design of your quilt you might try a pretty plaid or something like that.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.