Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Just finished this set of gifts >

Just finished this set of gifts

Just finished this set of gifts

Old 03-22-2009, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
I made these for my friend that does my prep work for my quilting. They were supposed to be for a Christmas present for a friend of hers but I ran out of time. So now they are done!! Now to go on to other quilt stuff!
I love that star. Is there a name for the block. I think I can see how the points are made. Kind of like a half square -- only it's cut again diagonally and then attached to the triangle. Right? Am I showing my ignorance here? :oops: :lol:
Old 03-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GailG
I made these for my friend that does my prep work for my quilting. They were supposed to be for a Christmas present for a friend of hers but I ran out of time. So now they are done!! Now to go on to other quilt stuff!
I love that star. Is there a name for the block. I think I can see how the points are made. Kind of like a half square -- only it's cut again diagonally and then attached to the triangle. Right? Am I showing my ignorance here? :oops: :lol:
I don't know how anyone else makes it but the first star is made with my Boston Blocks. See the directions on my www.bitsnpiecesworkshop.com
THe other stars are all made with my half square blocks or Boston Blocks.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by GailG
I don't know how anyone else makes it but the first star is made with my Boston Blocks. See the directions on my www.bitsnpiecesworkshop.com
THe other stars are all made with my half square blocks or Boston Blocks.
Thanks. Went to "bitsnpieces". Great directions and ideas. When you say to change the size of the template, would we --say, use a 2" template to make the HST block that will be cut diagonally? Then it could be used in the 1 1/2" Boston Block.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Power Poster

No you use three swatches to make the Bostons. Directions are on my site. When I say you can change the size of the template I was thinking if I make a hotpad for instance or a Tote bag and I make my hotpads 8 1/2" unfinished but you may want to make a larger quilt block with the same one I used but you would rather make a tote bag instead so make your"Blocks" with a 3" template instead of a 1 1/2" so you end up with a bigger quilt block to use in the tote.

Make sense?
Old 03-22-2009, 08:17 PM

:oops: PHEW! I've got it. Thanks. Some days I'm a little "slower" than others. :lol:
Old 03-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Power Poster

Oh this is just a new concept for people. It is hard for some quilters to get past the traditional way of piecing. But I love that it makes the process easy.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:24 PM

I think it's great. Do you have any problems with the grainline?
Old 03-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Power Poster

Believe it or not the only thing I ever look at is where I have room to cut a swatch out. I don't pay any attention to grain because when I am done there is usually only an inch or less left to see. The seams are so close together that it never affects my work.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:37 PM

That's good to know. Bias edges scare me.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:08 AM

Rhonda, I have downloaded your e book. Now, my question is about the templates. Do I cut out a triangle the size of the finished block? or a quarter of the size? In other words how do we know what size the template should be? The template is a piece of acrylic right?