Last year I participated in a BOM from a LQS. Each participant paid $25, and received a Debby Kratovil Block-a-Day calendar. Then each month the LQS owner picked out a block from the calendar and provided BARELY ENOUGH fabric to make that block. We also had to make the same block from fabric in our stash. Then we would bring in both blocks to show the LQS owner, give her the block from our stash, and take home the other block and the fabric and block selection for the next month. At the end of the year everyone who had completed all 12 blocks got a set of another 12 blocks made from the fabric in other people's stash, so we wound up with 2 sets - one made from the coordinating fabrics selected by the LQS owner, and another that wasn't quite so coordinated (though they tried). (I haven't decided what to do with that not-so-coordinated group yet, but donating them to science is a possibility.)
I purchased a panel that was in the same fabric line as some of the fabrics provided by the LQS owner. Never again, because I don't really enjoy using a whole panel, and it was not possible to cut this one into pieces without destroying parts of the design. I put off assembling this quilt, but I finally decided on a setting (which required making 12 more blocks). Then I backed it and started quilting it in 3 sections, before realizing that I had completely forgotten to make the border. By then I had made the backing out of fabric that I originally wanted in the border, so I wound up making a checkerboard border out of fabrics that were still left, and the backing had to be pieced too. I have not been a happy camper while working on this, but at least it is done. And I am planning the next quilt, which will be something more of my choosing.