Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Latest charity quilts

Latest charity quilts

The pink quilt I found in a thrift shop for $2. It was adorable, but noticeably 'bowled' in the middle. I still bought it because, after all, how much work could it be to fix it? Well, after I took out the stitch in the ditch in it (6 hours at least), I found out that it still bowled. So I took off the sashing and four patches in the corners (1 hour), then I discovered that the reason it bowled was because the sashing was cut short and the center was 'eased' to fit the sashing, thus causing the bowling. The corner 4 patches were, however, cut too big. Put it aside for about a month, then came back to it. Decided to put the sashing back and use the 'too big' part of the 4 patches to make the sashing fit (1 hour).

That worked. While taking out the stitch in the ditch quilting, I had poked a few holes in the backing, so searched my stash for a new backing (30 minutes). Sandwiched it (30 minutes), measured length and width twice (5 minutes) and then loaded it on my quilting frame (15 minutes), made up an original quilting pattern (4 hours at least), then quilted it using my HQ16 and PCQuilter, (3 hours).

If I added right, saving that little quilt took roughly 15 hours and 20 minutes, and, no, I did not enjoy every minute of it...but I do enjoy the idea of some little girl falling in love with it and wearing it into a rag! And I learned not to ease a too short border/sashing onto a longer quilt center...so, all in all, it was worth it.

The second quilt is made from a remnant I bought at Walmart to use as a panel. I used up some red and yellow scraps from other projects for sashings and corner blocks. The backing is a flannel I bought at Salvation Army store. It's a fun quilt for a baby boy.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Blog Entries
    nice charity quilts

Blog Entries
    Enjoyed your story, reminded me of something I would do. Your hard work paid off, it turned out lovely! Both quilts are darling and will make a girl and boy very happy. Bless you!
    Helen T.

Both are great!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Both are adorable.

Blog Entries
    Great job! Will make 2 children sooo hhappy thus making their parents and grandparents happy!!:-)

Blog Entries
    nicely done
    Nancy in western NY

Blog Entries
    you go girl,, lots of patience

Well done there gorgeous.
    God Bless you all.
    Heather.

It's so important to remember that is is the process that we love. Enjoyed your story.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast