Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: A little help with my Crappie Quilt would be nice

Ok it's not crappy but it is a "Crappie Quilt" that's the name I gave it because it's covered with crappie (type of fish). Anyway, I have sewn all my life but quilting is soooooo much different and I need some suggestions on how to quilt this thing. I've always tied my quilts in the past because that is all I know how to do. But I would so much like to do something a little more like quilted then tied.

I still have to put the boarders around it but this will give you an idea of what is going on at this point.

close up of the Black Crappie
    Name:  Attachment-89121.jpe
Views: 110
Size:  91.0 KB

This is my favorite one in the middle
    Name:  Attachment-89122.jpe
Views: 95
Size:  79.0 KB

this is the top
    Name:  Attachment-89205.jpe
Views: 104
Size:  77.7 KB

close up the White Crappie
    Name:  Attachment-89206.jpe
Views: 100
Size:  81.1 KB

Blog Entries
    Cute quilt! What fun to make. I'll let some of the more experiences quilters help you with the next steps.

Love the caption and love the quilt! As would my DH!

What a cute crappie quilt! I love it. Since you're new to machine quilting, I think straight lines might be easiest for you to pull off. You could go through the diagonal squares, outline your embroidered areas that appear on point, etc. It's going to be fabulous!

Blog Entries
    you know if you can't do a water like stitch in free motion quilting, you could do a wavy stitch in the fish blocks.
    use your walking foot/quilting foot and move the quilt to the left and the right with your hands while stitching. just something to give the fish areas movement like water.

I'm making this for my DH as he is so much wanting a quilt that is not girly or flowery, or anything but hunting or fishing. He seems to like this one a lot and has already been bragging to his friends about it. So I know I'm doing something right. I just like the idea that I can finally tell him "Yep, I'm making you a crappie quilt". LOL

oh wow love your crappies,my dh would love this quilt

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    you know if you can't do a water like stitch in free motion quilting, you could do a wavy stitch in the fish blocks.
    use your walking foot/quilting foot and move the quilt to the left and the right with your hands while stitching. just something to give the fish areas movement like water.
    That sounds interesting, I made an extra fish block to play with so I might try it on that first. I made all the fish different and figured I could stitch around them by hand but adding the water marks might really look great.

Beautiful quilt.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    What a great idea :D
    That's a really cute quilt!!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast