Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Look what was covered up by another top!

Quote Originally Posted by Bamagal View Post
    I think it is more of being in the right place at the right time. My BIL gave me one as a gift. When I got so excited he started showing me others. When I started asking questions of their history and started writing it down for labels he came up with more. Yesterday we were leaving and I saw an old trunk and asked about it. We opened it. There were four ratty really dirty quilts. When I stared pulling them out he says those are throw aways. So I volunteered to do it. I think I can save two. Two are too far gone. It's going to depend on the washing. They are too filthy to handle right now. He has even more quilts that I do not have. They go to other family members. If they don't want them I will take them.
    A few yrs ago I bought 2 1900's scrap quilts from Kentucky on ebay for almost nothing. The seller said they needed "some" cleaning but I don't think they had EVER been washed ! DH said I should just throw them away. But I soaked them in the tub, the first few times the water looked like coffee. UGH ... Finally got them clean, out in the sun to dry and they looked GREAT. They are 2 of my fav quilts today ... you never know !
    Last edited by TexasGurl; 01-23-2013 at 09:14 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewNso View Post
    or, they had a quilt that they didn't treasure very much. so they used it to set a top which was really treasured or made by 'grandma'. etc.
    The top I took off was tied on and it was simply wide trips of material sewn together and not even pretty

What a GREAT find!! Really neat!!!
    There is no place like home!

Good find! Lucky you.
    Live and let live!

What a treasure.

Blog Entries
    It's great that you found it!
    Blessed Be
    Darlene

I refurbished an old worn quilt by cutting off the borders and rebinding it. The old ones are so charming and I too do not understand them being trashed. If they are too worn to save as a quilt, I cut them up and make other items from the best parts.
    GeeGee

Blog Entries
    This is so darling and so folksy!! Love that you found it and are saving it. Way to go!
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6