Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Magical Mystery Tour >

Magical Mystery Tour

Magical Mystery Tour

Old 09-12-2013, 11:07 AM

Default Magical Mystery Tour

When I was growing up in the 60’s, the catch phrase of the times was “let it all hang out” and that is exactly what I did with this quilt!
This quilt took on a life of it’s own. After I finished my last quilt http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t228080.html I decided to find a way to use up some of my scraps and orphan blocks that I had rejected or had left over for one reason or another. Last winter, I tried my hand at needle turn applique`…found I have no real talent for handwork, so I saved what was usable of those and stored them away. I laid them all out, chose some, discarded others, then just started placing blocks on the design wall, picking up strips from my “pile’o’strips” and placing them here and there.
My original working name for the quilt was “Happy-Hazardous” because I was having so much fun just playing with the fabrics and happily placing them anywhere that felt ‘right’. As I sewed the blocks together, I remembered where all the scraps came from…my son’s Christmas quilt, my daughter’s quilt, and on and on. The thought came into my head that this quilt is like a mystery tour through many of the quilts I’ve made… Thus the name: “Magical Mystery Tour” which started that song going through my mind…along with several other songs from The Beattles. Once I began quilting, the idea of putting the titles of the songs into the quilt hit and I was off. The titles did not show up that well, so I picked up some fabric markers and colored them in. That was so much fun, I did a little more coloring (I’ve always missed my coloring books and crayons from childhood).
This may not be my finest work or even the most beautiful quilt I’ve ever made, but it was certainly the most fun and interesting. Forgive all the pictures please, but there is so much going on in this quilt, that I just kept snapping photos! I'm planning to put it in my craft show in October....but I may decide to keep it!
Attached Thumbnails 1-front-view.jpg   2-title.jpg   2-sunflowers.jpg   3-pot-oflowers.jpg   4-submarine.jpg  

5-lower-corner.jpg   6-drunken-baptist.jpg  
Old 09-12-2013, 11:17 AM

Very cool!
Old 09-12-2013, 11:19 AM

That is a major quilt show award winner!!!
Old 09-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

very nicely done
Old 09-12-2013, 12:10 PM

Wow, that is one great quilt. You made a very special and unique quilt out of what you originally didn't use. Congratulations.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:12 PM

Too funny "drunken" along with Baptist but it sure is pretty! Love your quilt.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

Groovy man! Great quilt and cute little yellow submarine. The Beatles and their music are still my favourites.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:36 PM

KEEP IT! Just love it! All songs that are great and should bring magical memories.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:02 PM

Well that certainly brings back some memories. Great quilt.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:27 PM

Far out! It might have started out 'helter skelter' but it is singing 'Love Me, Do' to me!

Seriously, I love the juxtaposition of colors and blocks and the applique and the hexes and the prairie points. It all plays together perfectly. Why don't you show it? To me, that is an art quilt.