Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Memory quilt >

Memory quilt

Memory quilt

Old 12-29-2010, 04:48 PM

I was ask abt. April I think to make a quilt from the clothes of a wonderful Lady I knew for many Yrs. That had passed from Cancer.Janie's Daughter ask me and I said yes. Then she ask if I could make 4 from Her Moms clothes. One for Her, Her sister, Her Brother and Her Stepfather. I agreed to do it. She sent me a big box of clothes. Tee's button ups, shorts, jeans all different kinds of material. I was kinda in shock how was I gonna do this. I was commited. So I decide the square on point in a square with sashes. Thought I could use dryer sheets as a foundation to stop the stretch. WHEEEE!!!!! let me tell you I will never do that again. It will have to be the bonding sheets or Nada. To late to change in mid stream had to just keep going. Well I finished Right before Christmas. She lives in FL as the other 3 do. In November Her Father passed away Her Bio. Father...So she had 2 whammys close together. I finished them sent them down to FLorida as I live in Ga. by my youngest Daughter Connie. All Four now have there own cuddle Quilt from Her clothes back by Her sheets. They are 48"By 48", the Binding is raw edge jeans and other shorts. Some of her shorts are in the squares. a couple were the spandex feel rubbery. My points sometime is off and a lot of them there are. the Dryer sheets helped but there still was a lot of stretch in the sewing and quilting. SID was the easiest and quickest. Knew I wouldn't be able to do anything other than that because of the tee's. I am posting the pictures They are the same but not exactly alike as the blocks are layed out diff.. I feel satisfied with them. I cryed, laughed and screamed with my friend Janie. Talk to her the whole time I made the quilts from her clothes. Something I will think abt. befor I commit myself again.
BillsBonBon
Attached Thumbnails attachment-149767.jpe   attachment-149768.jpe   attachment-149769.jpe   attachment-149770.jpe  
Old 12-29-2010, 04:55 PM

Great job on the quilts!!!

What a special memory for them all!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 04:59 PM

Oh my gosh - I wish I had had the foresight to save some of my mom's clothes. Think of all the times Jane's children will relive because of your kindness. I can just hear them now - "Remember the time Mom wore those red striped shorts and everyone..."

What a healing project this must have been for you as you worked through grieving stages with fabrics in hand - the crying, screaming & laughing brought closure to her leaving but allowed you to keep her memory alive through those wonderful quilts.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:01 PM

Very pretty! Look at all those sweet memories:) You did a fantastic job:)
Old 12-29-2010, 05:07 PM

what a wonderful way to remember someone. I bet she was talking back to you too... very nice job.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:11 PM

You did a wonderful thing. The quilts turned out really nice.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:12 PM

you did such a wonderful job! and I agree - I'm sure the family will say "remember when Momma wore that".... oh - what a great gift you gave :) and I'm really sorry for your loss

Kris
Old 12-29-2010, 05:22 PM

You made a wonderful memory of their mom. They are beautiful!
Old 12-29-2010, 05:33 PM
bj

You did a great job on the quilts and I know your friend and her family will treasure them.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Cyn

Lovely!