Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Missing Mom >

Missing Mom

Missing Mom

Old 09-03-2008, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
When my mom passed away last year I inherited most of what was in her sewing room, including over 100 different blocks. She so loved the blocks she made for her quilt guild that she made two of each, one to turn in and one to keep for herself. When I am missing her, I like to get them all out and look them over. Maybe you would like to see them too.
You are such a luck daughter to have these from your mother, so much love went into these blocks, it would be wonderful if you could use them in a quilt or wallhanging. I lost my mother a few years back and each of my two sisters and I each have a quilt that mother made, my mother never new about making quilts until the year my father passed away and I sent her some blocks and the sashings and corner stones and called her on the phone and told her how to put them together, that was her first quilt she made. Then she was hooked and made a few more until she could not see very well any more. It was a way to help my mother to go through her griving of the loss of dad.

One of these days I will put a picture of the first quilt my mother made, from them blocks that I had sent as I am the one that got the quilt.

Thanks for sharing your blocks that your mother made.

Clara
Old 09-03-2008, 08:03 PM

What a beautiful collection of blocks she left for you. You must feel really special to have those.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:03 PM

When I saw the collection from your mom, the pansy made me think of my mom. She loved pansies.
When mom died, one of my sisters made lap quilts for each of us children ( nine surving out of ten). That was a way for us to have an extra treasure from mom.
Your mom left you a treasure of gold. She left you her legacy. :thumbup:
Old 09-04-2008, 12:05 PM

oops sorry, mom left a lot of squares like your mom and some more than one of each of things she was going to finish and didn't have time
Old 09-04-2008, 03:55 PM

since you like looking at the blocks from time to time,I would concider putting them in a photo album. they would stay in good condition,because of the acid free paper. That would make a nice memory book.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:43 PM

The thought of embroidering some of your mom's quotes on sashings between her quilt blocks is a neat one. My mom has been gone since 1999, and one of my sisters (also a quilter) has taken a notebook and writes down "momisms" - things Mom used to say frequently as we were growing up.

Your mom's legacy to you is beautiful! Whatever you do with them - keep them as block or make into a quilt - they are priceless!