Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
More Bookmarks and hotpads >

More Bookmarks and hotpads

More Bookmarks and hotpads

Old 03-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the kind words! But I can always point out my mistakes. And there are plenty of them.

One time I accidently cut a small hole in a block on one corner. I was so aggravated!! The hotpad was completely done!! I took a small triangle folded it to fit and appliqued it on over the original triangle. I used a blind stitch and hid the thread but I am always thinking is it going to fall apart when someone washes it?

I have the hardest time getting the squares to stay square when I use square blocks in the corners of the border! When I turn the hotpad right side out and quilt it down I always get seams along the squares that get pulled out of a straight line no matter how hard I try to keep it straight!!
It can be very frustrating!

If you look at one of them in the pictures you will see it is not straight at all.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:26 PM

WOW!! You are one very busy lady--what a great job you do.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:27 PM

Those are awesome!!! You can be really proud of yourself for those!!! :D :D
Old 03-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Diana Rainer
Those are awesome!!! You can be really proud of yourself for those!!! :D :D
Diana
It is just what I do everyday. I have made hundreds of hotpads and bookmarks over the last few years. I have a harder time trying to come up with more variety because I like to offer new things as often as I can. Plus I get bored doing the same designs all the time. It just isn't in me to repeat the same thing over and over where is the creativity in that?

I think I sometimes get so used to what I do it is nice to have another opinion sometimes! A fresh way to look at it.

Thanks for the compliment. It is always nice when people appreciate what you do!! :D
Old 03-24-2009, 06:09 PM

Rhonda, you do beautiful work! I think it is always awesome when you can do something you love and be able to sell it also! They are all pretty, but....
I must say there are a couple of OUTSTANDING potholders :!:
Old 03-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sharon M
Rhonda, you do beautiful work! I think it is always awesome when you can do something you love and be able to sell it also! They are all pretty, but....
I must say there are a couple of OUTSTANDING potholders :!:
Which ones are your favorites? We play that game here all the time. My mom always tells me her favs and my daughter and Dorothy my friend that works with me on them.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:10 PM
joy

Rhonda - those hot pads (pot holders)... what did you put in the middle of the materials? I made a couple of pot holders and found they were not thick enough to get the roasting dish out of the oven but OK folded over... so next time I will put double the insulating stuff I had in the middle... but what did you use? Also how much thickness? Please....!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joy
Rhonda - those hot pads (pot holders)... what did you put in the middle of the materials? I made a couple of pot holders and found they were not thick enough to get the roasting dish out of the oven but OK folded over... so next time I will put double the insulating stuff I had in the middle... but what did you use? Also how much thickness? Please....!!!

I use two layers of traditional batting made by Fairfield. It is a polyfil and I usually buy the crib size because it is easier to work with not so big and bulky and per ounce is actually cheaper than the larger ones.
I get mine at my local walmart but you can find them at hobby lobby and online at www.poly-fil.com

I have been using this for 11 years and never had any complaints so it must be ok.

I like the traditional because it is dense and yet thin and light at the same time. If you use a fluffy batting it will allow too much air in and then you get burned!

I tried differant things when I first started making them and this is what we ended up thinking worked the best. Hope this helps!

You can also buy a fabric that has a silver insulation on one side. Use that for the back of the hotpad.
I didn't want to use this but it is an option you might want to look into.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:10 PM

Rhonda, your hotpads are too beautiful to use. I would put them on the wall as 'art'!!
Old 03-25-2009, 12:05 AM
joy

thank you for replying.... the material I had used had silver insulation on one side too... but probably not for things that come out of the oven... just as well I made the pot holders a decent size because I can double them over and they work that way.....