Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My Barn Quilt >

My Barn Quilt

My Barn Quilt

Old 06-09-2014, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by dottie dodge View Post
I really like your barn quilt. Was it hard to paint? What kind of paint did you use and did you protect it with anything? I would really like to do one of these.
Sorry it took me so long to get back to this. It has been a busy couple of weeks. I found a picture of something similar and tried to draw it out myself, I got it all drawn out small and got the paint together for it, but when I tried to draw it out on the side of the shed I kept getting 'confused'. I finally got out a roll of craft paper that was 36" wide and used my quilting tools to draw out a 1/4 template. I cut out around the outer post section and taped it with painters tape for stability. Then I put some tape on the intersections of all the lines and poked a hole with a pencil. at the point that would be the center of my star, I put extra tape and made a hole there, as well. I put a nail in the wall right in the center and hooked my template on it. I taped it up to the wall and drew around the outside and marked all the intersections through the holes. Then I used my quilt rulers and a pencil to draw in the lines,. I turned the template and repeated the process 4 times until I had a complete circle. Then I used painters tape and blocked off sections to paint. I used an exterior house paint. I bought it in yellow, orange and blue. 1 quart each. And a quart of white. When I got home, I poured a little of each color in a pint jar and added about the same amount of white to it and mixed it up. I used regular canning lids to seal the jars when not using. I think I might paint over it with a clear sealer, just to help it last a little longer. I am so happy and proud of my work. Can you tell????? LOL
Old 06-09-2014, 02:04 PM

I live in a retirement community on the lake. No yard to speak of, but a small spot in the nook between the house and shed. We put a 24" high fence to keep the rabbits out and planted a garden. This "Mariners Compass" faces the lake, but there are 2 rows of houses between the painting and the lake, can be seen from the road behind our house. There are no houses there because they leave those lots open for seasonal people that come in motorhomes and fifth wheels. I love where we live and now I have a little haven to retreat to when I want to relax. Am decorating it up a little with bird baths, planters, etc. I hope you will post pictures of yours when you do them.!!!!
Old 06-09-2014, 02:47 PM

Awesome!!!
Old 06-09-2014, 03:14 PM

You are an inspiration! I love barn quilts too and have always bemoaned the fact that I do not own a barn. However, I DO own a shed! I see a weekend project in my future!! Thank you so much for sharing!!!
Old 06-12-2014, 02:08 AM

I have a shed! Why didn't I think of that? What a beautiful design! Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:24 AM

I want one! Live where I can't even plant a tree without permission. Will be moving soon.