Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My crummy blocks

Or would that be "crumby" blocks. :lol:

I love making these. As a newb quilter it's so much fun to just randomly throw together pieces of fabric and not give a second thought to matching seams or even having a perfect 1/4" seam for that matter. I think once I have as many crumb blocks as I want, I'll use black sashing around them.

Also fun for a newb quilter like me... string quilts. These are stress free quilts to make. The colored strips in the quilt in my pictures were actually made from other quilt blocks I had goofed up. I had made a whole bunch of snail's tails blocks in batiks and they were well beyond wonky so... I cut up all the blocks into strips and made this string quilt. The white center is simply where I didn't put a colored strip over my foundation material (which was an old sheet).

I enjoy string quilts so much, I'm thinking of hacking into perfectly good fabric just to make another one (instead of waiting for enough scraps).

crumbs
    Name:  Attachment-22658.jpe
Views: 39
Size:  66.2 KB

strings
    Name:  Attachment-22681.jpe
Views: 40
Size:  55.0 KB

Those are great! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Quote Originally Posted by mrsj82
    Those are great! Can't wait to see what you come up with!
    Thanks. As far as another string quilt goes, I'd really like to make one like this for my Mom, in honor of my Grandfather's military service, since it's a patriotic star quilt. I bet she'd cry over that. Isn't that cool that you can make a star out of strings like that? Problem is, I don't have enough red white and blue fabric... someday I guess.

http://maryquilts.com/patriotic-string-star/

Banned
    those are terrific! I especially like the 2nd one with the pink square off-center. It adds a tremendous amount of interest that way!

Quote Originally Posted by babeegirl
    those are terrific! I especially like the 2nd one with the pink square off-center. It adds a tremendous amount of interest that way!
    It just kind of ended up that way randomly. That's all the snails trails blocks I had made and I just figured I'd group the pink/reddish ones together, (after I'd cut em into strips and made string blocks out of them.)

Those are all so bright and so neat looking. Gotta do one.

Excellent! You are so right about how much fun these blocks are to make. I love the patriotic star quilt you mentioned. That looks great! Hang in there. You'll have enough strips to make it before you know it!

Looks great to me.

Great job!

Piecefully yours,
    Kay Susan

Blog Entries
    Great job. I love them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast