Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My First Dear Jane Blocks >

My First Dear Jane Blocks

My First Dear Jane Blocks

Old 06-19-2010, 06:24 AM

Hi all!! I am so excited to be starting a Dear Jane quilt, I am not sure how quickly i will get it done, but it'll be fun to work on it anyway. I have been talking with all the girls that are doing it together here on the board, and they have been so helpful!! I don't think I can catch up to their schedule, but it'll still be fun to have them for support!! Anyway i wanted to share my designs and my first blocks here if you don't mind!! I am making two quilts at once, the rainbow one will be my test quilt, it will be made with muslin and scraps and will give me the chance to practice the blocks before I make my real quilt the blue and orange one. I had fun making these blocks, it is M-11. Not too too hard, I only had to unsew once!! :) The blocks aren't perfect, but I am totally okay with that LOL If you aren't familiar with Dear Jane, these blocks will finish at 4.5 inches, so the pieces are small.

Thanks for looking and reading all that!!
Cheers!
Rachel
Attached Thumbnails attachment-88560.jpe   attachment-88561.jpe   attachment-88562.jpe  
Old 06-19-2010, 06:25 AM

Awesome blocks! Enjoy the journey
Old 06-19-2010, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I really like your blocks. Have fun making these quilts.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:53 AM

After seeing this, I have to say that anyone who does one of these has to be a master at quilting. Looks gorgeous but I doubt I could ever attempt it. What a masterpiece when finished.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
After seeing this, I have to say that anyone who does one of these has to be a master at quilting. Looks gorgeous but I doubt I could ever attempt it. What a masterpiece when finished.
First thank you to all three for the compliments, it will be a lot of work, but hey why not? LOL

Trust me, I am by no means whatsoever a master of quilting. This block is paper pieced, which always makes things look sharper. I cannot for the life of me gets nice points except when I am paper piecing LOL In fact if you look in the lower left of the blue and white block, you will see a good chunk of the top of the diamond cut off LOL I am actually hoping that by doing this quilt, I will get better at precision piecing because I totally stink at it now. It will be a huge challenge, but have been wanting to do a sampler quilt to improve my skills for a while now, so what better than this? :)

Never think you can't do it, as I tell my son, you never know till you try!! plus there is a great support system right on this board that will help you every step of the way!

Cheers!
Rachel
Old 06-19-2010, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful quilts designs :D:D:D

I love both blocks...what a great idea and you will have two quilts at the end...Brilliant!!!
Old 06-19-2010, 07:34 AM

WOW!! Beautiful. Good luck.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:24 AM

Congratulations on starting the Dear Jane quilt. I started one many years ago. I'm still working on it. I work on it for a while, then put it down for a while, etc.

Be sure to visit this blog . She gives wonderful step by step instructions on how to put the blocks together. In a few cases, she even re-made the paper pieced block for easier construction.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

Nicely done.

Yes, you will get a lot of practice in different techniques making these blocks.

Didn't notice the "whatever" that you pointed out. Oh - just went back to look - just hush about it and no one will notice.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Didn't notice the "whatever" that you pointed out. Oh - just went back to look - just hush about it and no one will notice.

:lol: :lol: