Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
my first feather quilting & string blocks >

my first feather quilting & string blocks

my first feather quilting & string blocks

Old 01-30-2012, 11:56 AM

Default my first feather quilting & string blocks

I am making a belated wedding quilt that uses string blocks to form hearts (first time I have made string blocks). For the quilting, I created 5 new quilting designs. One of which I call Feathered Hearts. I am calling my pattern Heart Strings. Of course the center will have portrait of the bride & groom, using my Cut Work Portrait technique to create the portrait, but instead of cutting, I painted them with colored pencils. It has been so fun to do, but will be glad when it is done so I can move on.
Attached Thumbnails dsc01483.jpg   dsc01470.jpg  
Old 01-30-2012, 12:10 PM

How pretty. You did a great job on it.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful feather and you quilted it perfectly!
Old 01-30-2012, 12:26 PM

What you have done so far is very pretty! Do you make individual pieces, quilt them and THEN join them together? Sure would make quilting a lot easier! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
What you have done so far is very pretty! Do you make individual pieces, quilt them and THEN join them together? Sure would make quilting a lot easier! Can't wait to see the finished product.
I did the heart string blocks on muslin, then sewed some setting triangles to them. These I sandwiched and quilted, leaving alot of extra backing all around. I will then put all the pieces together at the end and do a fold over of the excess backing as a seam on the back. I only have a domestic to do my quilting on, so had to handle it all in smaller pieces.

I am trying to write it up into a pattern as I go along. I know of a couple other weddings coming up, so this weekend I rewrote my pattern into a way I can do all the scrappy fabrics for the setting triangles in neutrals and do most of the quilting ahead of time, then when I know a wedding is acutally coming, get the couple to select a jelly roll to make the heart strings. I will take their photo and finish up the portrait center. And in no time, it could be done!

It basically is two pieces like the one shown - a heart string block, a feathered triangle, and a few setting triangles. These are the 2 side panels. Then the center panel has two heart string blocks and more setting triangles on either end, and the portrait square in the middle.

After joining all the pieces, I will do some straight stitching to surround the decorative quilting from block to block.

Last edited by grammatjr; 01-30-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:33 PM

Beautiful quilting. I can't wait to see the whole quilt. I am interested to hear how you are going to put it all together after quilting the parts.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

Old 01-31-2012, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

WOW! It looks great!!
Old 02-03-2012, 11:39 AM

I am so excited! I have had time to work on the quilt lately, and so have been doing the quilting. I did sort of a stipple in a couple of the heart blocks (wow, that was fun!). I also modified the quilting that I had created in the other triangles, so that each setting triangle has a different quilting design. Anyway, it is about time to put it all together and bind it! I just need to do some more echo quilting in the center panel where the portrait is. Who knows, I may actually get this done soon! Woo,hoo!