I would like to share picture of my first finished item. It started out as a lap quilt but of course I didn't take into account the seam allowances and it ended up as a table topper. I learned a lot of things on the way to completing this project. I learned the importance of measurements (as I ran out of binding), the importance of seam allowances (which will obviously reduce the size of your finished product if you don't take that into account), the importance of ironing (which will make nesting and matching seams much easier), the importance of extra rotary blades (I messed up good fabric with dull blades), the importance of preparation (how many times I stopped to wind a bobbin and then ran out of thread), and so many more lessons.
My quilting is not straight because my seams aren't straight and I tried to follow the seams. My qulting bar doesn't fit well into my generic walking foot. Sheesh.
You can see I used extra fabric to sew on a piece to hide where I ran out of binding. The good news is that there are no quilters at my job that I know of who will see my work so to all the untrained eyes at work, I've made a masterpiece and they think I did it on purpose.
This piece lives on a part of my desk in my cubicle at work where I keep my family pictures.
I bought the fabric from Wal Mart. I think I used one print charm pack and pieces out of a white charm pack that I had. I referenced several hourglass quilt tutorials to get the basic idea and then went to it. I used a solid matching backing piece. I didn't label it!! So I am going to use a fusible label tomorrow to complete it. Please tell me what you think.