Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My first quilt...in progress--the baby clothes quilt! >

My first quilt...in progress--the baby clothes quilt!

My first quilt...in progress--the baby clothes quilt!

Old 06-23-2010, 11:18 AM

Hello! Thanks for the warm welcome to the site. I have enjoyed admiring your work! I am a little shy about showing this, but I desperately need assistance!

This is (will be!) made of my friend's little girl's play clothes. I would not touch anything "nice" with scissors! I really started it last year, got bogged down/discouraged. Now I'm taking it up again and I'm determined now to finish it!

As just about everything was knit fabric, I used a lightweight fusible interfacing ironed on the back before cutting the triangles and square centers.

After laying the pieces out I then cut squares from an old sheet to sew the pieces to. I sewed up about five "squares"--ha! They are not really square. I stopped when I didn't know what to do. Over the months, the pieces and the blocks got a bit rearranged, so I've been working them back into a somewhat pleasing pattern.

I'm attaching a picture of the inspiration photo, the quilt pieces as they are now and a photo of a block. The squares are roughly 8 inches. I have enough for a quilt that is five squares long and four wide. Is this bad? I want it to be bigger than this (though I don't have a size in mind) so I am planning on adding sashing,...unless someone has a better idea! I am wide open to ideas.

How should I proceed? I'm sure if I can get the blocks a little more uniform it will make things easier.

Let me say that I am an absolute beginner, so you cannot offend me--just assume I don't know anything LOL! I appreciate any comments so very much.

Molly

The Inspiration Photo- Baby Craze by Terry Starke
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88186[/ATTACH]

The Current State of the Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88187[/ATTACH]

A Block that has been sewn to a square of plain fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88188[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-88181.jpe   attachment-88182.jpe   attachment-88183.jpe  
Old 06-23-2010, 11:21 AM

Eek! Do you see that where the purple fabric in the block picture doesn't cover the backing fabric! Yikes.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:23 AM

I think it's going to be a very pretty quilt! The next thing I would probably do is trim the squares on all sides and make them "square" and all the same size. I'm no professional so if I'm wrong sorry hehe Good Luck!

Sharon
Old 06-23-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by skyle1968
I think it's going to be a very pretty quilt! The next thing I would probably do is trim the squares on all sides and make them "square" and all the same size. I'm no professional so if I'm wrong sorry hehe Good Luck!

Sharon

I agree. Pick the smallest block and square it up. Then make all the other blocks the same size. I would then just sew them in rows and then the rows together. Then I would pick a small (1.5 to 2 inch) border, probably light green, then a 3 or 4 inch pink outer border.
I think you did a great job and the receiver of this quilt is going to love it. I wish I had thought to do that with my son's clothes.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:38 AM

Yay! Replies! Thanks so much. Oh, I think a border WILL be what I do. That would add quite a bit inch-wise and would be more suited to my skill level, probably!
Old 06-23-2010, 11:47 AM

Before you square them up, press them with starch.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:53 AM

I will do that, Carol. Thank you for the advice. I think I just need to redo that particular square in the photo.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:58 AM

Check and measure all the squares before you cut anymore or sew anymore. As stated, take the smallest square and trim the other squares to match that one. I think keeping it simple will really showcase the very nice scrappy look you have achieved. Good job.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:58 AM

that is darling great job
Old 06-23-2010, 12:00 PM

Ah! I had been wondering what to do with my daughters clothes. I am not prepared to give them away, this gives me an alternative.
I think your quilt is going to be great! Sashing would give it some uniformity...I think it's a great idea!
:)