Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My first real attempt at free-motion quilting >

My first real attempt at free-motion quilting

My first real attempt at free-motion quilting

Old 09-13-2012, 06:35 AM

beautiful topper and you certainly do much better then I ever could, very nice
Old 09-13-2012, 06:42 AM

Thanks for all these lovely comments and all the great encouragement and inspiration. As I just wrote in a blog, this board is the greatest!

Quilting is addictive-in whatever form. I will always love hand-quilting, but the idea of 'drawing' in thread is pretty exciting too. I just know there are countless feathers in my future...Thanks again!
Old 09-13-2012, 06:49 AM

Of course it is growing on you, vines right? Your star spin is beautiful! I did one a while back and starch is your friend on the bias edges.
LOL and thanks Tartan! Now that its over, it wasn't so bad. I just love this pattern. I may even make another one some day. Truthfully, I didn't really have a problem with the bias edges. I knew ahead of time to be really careful. I think this is the most complex thing I've ever pieced though. I did several double-takes of the pattern to get it together correctly...Thanks again!

Last edited by rural01; 09-13-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I love your leafy vines and your selection to put it on the dark green strip makes it pop! You first attempts at FMQ are inspirational. I can just imagine what you will accomplish with more practice.
Thanks--I too can't wait to see what will happen with more practice...I don't know about inspirational, but I am certainly inspired. I love quilting--in all forms. BTW, I love cats too. Have five--a mother and her five kittens.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com View Post
Those vines were the first details that I noticed, so they really do work well! Love your table topper. The colors are perfect for this time of year. So, would you say you're hooked?
Thanks! I love everything about quilting. I will always prefer hand-quilting, but there is something pretty cool about commanding that machine and finishing a project in so much less time. I just finished hand-quilting a quilt that I started in January--that is 8 months--long time. To answer your question, I am definitely hooked.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by kay carlson View Post
What great results for your FMQ. Your results are admirable and you've certainly got a lot more talent and courage than this writer!!!

I bought more bobbins for my Viking Mega Quilter so I can start practicing FMQ beginning at ground zero. I will be using some tightly woven fabric and cotton batting. I am so nervous about this learning process that I chose patterned fabric at the thrift store. I figured that I could "birth" a small quilt for a dog or cat and go to town with my
experiments.

Keep up your wonderful work and please, please post your progress. You are an inspiration! :-)
Thanks Kay! I don't know about talent or courage; I just know I like quilting of all kinds. If I had the money and the room, I'd love a long arm machine, but that is out of the question, so, I must settle for putting my little Jenome through her paces. I suspect the dog or cat that gets your first quilt is going to be one lucky pet. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

Very pretty.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by debcavan View Post
yeah for you. I love the leaf design where you put it, it just adds such a nice touch. I love FMQ and am so happy for you that you were brave enough to start doing it. For me, it is the most fun part of a quilt.
Deb, Thanks. I am envious--I didn't think it was the most fun, but I can see where it might come to that. As wonky as my leaves turned out, I do think with practice, FMQ does add a different kind of element and could be really fun one day.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:26 AM

What a great job for your first FMQ quilt. I just decided to start machine quilting. Was the motivation to finally buy the new machine I had been wanting. I'm still practicing on practice sandwiches, not brave enough to start on a real quilt. I do have a top I think I will SID. You inspire me to keep going and get to the point where I'm brave enough to FM my first quilt.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I love your leafy vines and your selection to put it on the dark green strip makes it pop! You first attempts at FMQ are inspirational. I can just imagine what you will accomplish with more practice.
boy do I agree! I see some great quilting emerging here!