Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My husband's quilt

I made this for my husband for Christmas. I'm not happy with it because it is going to be too small for him. I made him a comforter out of two flat sheets when we were dating 40 years ago. He absolutely loved it to death, and it met with its death about a month ago. I promised him a new quilt. The old comforter had two layers of batting, and so it was really thick. I asked my quilter to do two layers of batting (if possible) and she said it was. Well, the problem is that the batting and the quilting combined to shrink the quilt from the size it was when I gave it to her, and now it is really too small. He'll tell me he likes it, but I know he won't. I guess the solution is to make another one for him, and to tie it myself rather than have it quilted. I really hate to tie because it is so tedious, but I want him to have a quilt he's happy with. So, with that intro, here is the quilt I made for him. I like it as a quilt, but not for him.

We are scuba divers, thus the tropical fish theme.

This is the top of the quilt, called Bonaire Dreams in honor of our favorite diving destination.
    Name:  Attachment-60058.jpe
Views: 83
Size:  128.3 KB

This is the little fish label I made for it.
    Name:  Attachment-60059.jpe
Views: 43
Size:  31.9 KB

This shows the back of the quilt
    Name:  Attachment-60060.jpe
Views: 47
Size:  68.6 KB

Blog Entries
    Oooo I love this quilt!!! The quilted fish motifs are perfect :D:D:D:D

You can add onto the quilt... the new borders would be quilted and then added on. There are many different techniques out there that are a "quilt as you go" method.

There are many here who use these methods and if you post questions you will get answers and support too :D:D:D

I wonder if you could add a couple of wider borders to it, it would mean hand work but it just looks like the perfect quilt for him.

Beautiful quilt! I love the colors and the name. So appropriate for you both.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    I wonder if you could add a couple of wider borders to it, it would mean hand work but it just looks like the perfect quilt for him.
    I wondered the same thing. I would think that as long as you haven't put the binding on it, you could piece in the batting and and add extra borders.

It's beautiful!! The quilted fish look great in there. As a couple of the others said, you may be able to add another border to it to make it larger!

Blog Entries
    well rats. you might try adding more borders- as in quilt as you go. i'm sure you could do it if need be. :-)

Thanks for your comments and ideas. The binding is machine sewn onto the edge, but I still need to do the handwork. I made a rag quilt recently that I know he would love. (The one I made resides near our TV for snuggling up in.) I could make another one of those especially for him, and it went together very quickly--like about a week. It would be faster and easier to do that than to add borders. Maybe I'll try again for his May birthday. In the meantime he'll have this one for napping, which was its intended use.

What a really cool quilt---I love the fish, the fish fabric and the fish quilting!!

Blog Entries
    It is beautiful. I like the label too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast