Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My Ladybug Lap Quilt >

My Ladybug Lap Quilt

My Ladybug Lap Quilt

Old 07-29-2010, 09:33 PM

I have been working on a ladybug quilt for my sister for quite some time(2 years) and decided that I should finish it, so my goal is her birthday. Her birthday is in September so I have a good head start. I used a 9 patch center and a D4P for the other blocks.

It is a lap Quilt the blocks were 15x 15 finished and the border is Red polka dots 1 1/2 inch. I found several lady bug prints and a few with lizards and other bugs. It was fun looking for the fabric! She collects ladybugs and will use it while she watches TV so I added a pocket for her remote control! ~I wanted to add a pocket for a book but too hard to decide how big to make it!

GailR made the label so I will add a picture of it when I get it... This was so fun to make.

Ladybug lap quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68506[/ATTACH]

Remote control pocket
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68507[/ATTACH]

Appliqued Ladybugs
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68508[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-68501.jpe   attachment-68502.jpe   attachment-68503.jpe  
Old 07-30-2010, 06:52 AM

What a cute & fun lap quilt! I like how you added the pocket for a remote control!! Your DS will get alot of use from this wonderful gift!
Old 07-30-2010, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

What a cute quilt. I love the lady bugs crawling around and the remote pocket. Great job.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:42 PM

Very cute! And how clever to add a pocket! I really like the red polka dot sashing. Fun quilt!
Old 07-30-2010, 04:39 PM

Very nice!
Old 07-31-2010, 07:31 PM
Power Poster

What a cute quilt. Love that polka dot fabric. And the remote pocket is great. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:11 PM

Nice quilt! Great idea for the remote. I have never seen one like it before. Great job!
Old 08-01-2010, 01:33 AM

This is such a lovely present. It will be used and loved I am sure. It looks so snuggly and comforting. I am working on a wall quilt with applique blocks of flowers, bird houses etc--stuff you see in a garden. I had great difficulty finding any red fabric with black dots for the ladybug block I made. I ended up painting black dots on red fabric after hours of searching. Can you tell me where you bought that fabric you used for the ladybugs?
Old 08-01-2010, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mari
This is such a lovely present. It will be used and loved I am sure. It looks so snuggly and comforting. I am working on a wall quilt with applique blocks of flowers, bird houses etc--stuff you see in a garden. I had great difficulty finding any red fabric with black dots for the ladybug block I made. I ended up painting black dots on red fabric after hours of searching. Can you tell me where you bought that fabric you used for the ladybugs?
Thank you so much, it was really fun to make. The Lady bug material I used on my applique was the same I used for the block borders, I just cut out small pieces of velveteen and appliqued them over the white dots. I also looked every where for red fabric with black polka dots. if you do find it please let me know! Most of my bug fabric I got at Joann's. I might have picked up one at a yard sale, that was a lucky find! A big bag of scraps for a buck, I love finding fabric or yarn at yard sales.

Marybeth
Old 08-01-2010, 01:51 AM

Thank you all for the nice comments, I got the idea of the pocket on the quilt from one I made several years ago for a niece, it was a buzzy Quilt, it had pockets and buttons and zippers, really fun to make and intertaining for my niece who was pre school aged. I have been wanting to do another and now that I have a 9 month old granddaughter I am getting my ideas together for her Buzzy quilt.