Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: My Log Cabin Finished

My Log Cabin Finished

Hello! I finally finished a log cabin quilt I started back in 2009 when I was sitting around waiting for my house to sell down in Florida. Just wanted to make a log cabin but didn't have a pattern, etc. I was fairly new to quilting or the making of them so lots of mistakes, seams not matching, etc.

Well finally sold the house and moved up to Iowa to be near my mother who now lives with me. She fell in love with the log cabin which came to be 96 x 96, largest quilt ever for me. I told her she'd have to wait till I got a larger quilt system as I didn't want to have to turn the quilt for the borders. So she bought me a Innova 26" on a 12 ft frame with lots of extras. I upgraded my robotics (MQR) to go with it. I told her this quilt would be the 1st off the new system. I finished it a week ago, got the binding on, washed it with a color catcher as I always do. When I pulled it from the washer, I didn't see any color transfer so I threw it into the dryer. When it came out, OUCH!!!!! Some of the red bled onto the white. Well, too late now I suspect so I hung it up to finish drying and to photograph it for my album. Oh yes, while quilting it my machine hiccupped and stopped stitching with the needle down but my robotics kept going. I'm sure you know where this is going............I was able to stop the system before too much damage but it did have a small hole in it now. I ordered some Bo Nash powder to fix the hole but wouldn't you know it, the hole is right in the middle of stitching so I placed the patch over the hole on both sides instead of trying to stuff it inside the hole. Will try stuffing the next time. I'm not pleased with the fix but it will have to do as I can't get the patch off now. Thank goodness the hole is in a corner of the quilt so not as noticeable.

Again, don't look too close at the non-matching seams.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Very pretty quilt! Welcome to Iowa.

Looks great to me, i can't see bleeding or the hole and I'm sure your mother loves it no matter what! Great job!

Looks beautiful to me, great job and thank you for sharing
    Have a Blessed day
    Ellen

Blog Entries
    WOW That is just beautiful.
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

I love a pretty log cabin quilt. Definitely one of my favorite old patterns. Beautiful job.

Looks good. A few more washings may take care of the bleeding. My mom had some red & white fabric and had washed it and dried it before we noticed the bleeding. After about 5 more washes (all with color catchers) it was gone. I didn't see it in the picture so it must not be noticeable. P.S. I have a king quilt, can your mom adopt me!

What non-matching seams?! I don't see anything in the pictures. I think you did a great job!
    1951 Singer 301A - "Jean"
    1958 Singer Featherweight - "Verna"
    2009 Janome 4100QDC - Nameless

Beautiful work! Congrats on your new system!!!

All I can say is - GORGEOUS!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast