Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
my Mexican Star I made as a Christmas present >

my Mexican Star I made as a Christmas present

my Mexican Star I made as a Christmas present

Old 06-26-2016, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

Her loss....
Old 06-30-2016, 09:27 AM

your daughter's loss. It's beautiful, nice amount of white space, would love to see the back too.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

I am sorry that you are disappointed in your daughter's response to the pretty quilt that you made for her.

However - as hard as it is for some of us to understand - not everyone likes quilts - does not matter who made them.

I think it would be okay to ask for it back - and maybe ask her if there is something else that she would prefer (in $ range). Or even why she is not excited about it. Can't change it or fix it if you don't have a clue as to what the problem is.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

Very pretty! I made one and haven't quilted it yet.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by oldpiglady View Post
What an interesting story, Terricat. The very first quilt I ever made was made with cats. When I finished it I almost killed myself trying to get to my Mom's to give it to her. Her response, "I don't want a quilt. I'm happy with what I have." Well...as you can imagine a conversation went on. After quite some time later...when I was there I went in and sure enough..it was folded up and on a chair. I quickly put it on the bed. The next time I was over..again..it was on the chair. By this time ...Mom had developed Alzheimer's...so when she went into another room..I ran in and grabbed it and ran it out to my car. She never, ever missed it . The up shot of this story is one month later ...my house burnt to the ground and I lost EVERYTHING. Not a good story. Just ironic.
OHHH NOOOOOOO!!!! Oh that is so unfair to you! Oh I'm SO sorry. Did you at least have some pictures of the quilt for your own memories?? I'm a cat person too (you can tell by my name ) Maybe the lack of interest was the beginning of your mom's Alzheimer's, and on a better day she would have loved it. I'm SO sorry for the loss of your house and everything in the fire, what a heart-breaker all the way around. Blessings to you for the next half of your life!!
Old 07-04-2016, 03:30 PM

It's a beautiful quilt. Sometimes minds change with time...she will probably love it one day!
Old 07-04-2016, 04:19 PM

I love this wallhanging. I am so sorry your daughter did not appreciate it. I have had similar experiences over the years. I now tell my family I will make them a quilt only if they want one. I try to get their input as to what they would like.

Recently, I made a surprise T-shirt quilt for my 3 time All-American wrestling nephew. My sister sent me all his special t-shirts. We drove the finished quilt out to Ohio from eastern Pennsylvania, as I didn't want to risk it getting lost in transit.

He was so surprised when he opened it. I told him that I had put a sleeve on the back in case he wanted to hang it. He looked at me with an astonished look on his face and this darling young man said to me "Oh, I want to use it. Is is OK if I use it? I think it is disrespectful if I don't use it."

Holding back tears, I told him it was his to do with what he wanted and he definitely could use it. That night, he sat in the family room wrapped in the quilt. The next morning, as I passed his room, I saw the quilt proudly laid out perfectly on his bed. I could not have asked for a better gift. I will make this young man as many quilts as he wants for as long as I can. This is why I quilt for love and not money.

My wish for you is that you experience this kind of joy and appreciation for your passion and talent. There are those out there who would love such a valued gift of your love. Seek them out. You will know who they are. Do not give up the gift that gives you joy and will give others an equal amount of joy.

I, for one, would proudly display this quilt in my home. It is beautiful.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:28 PM

I love you Mexican-Star!
Old 10-20-2016, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by oldpiglady View Post
I guess I should have stated it was given to my own daughter. Five months later and she still hasn't hung it up. Maybe I'll just make myself one, instead. oh well!
funny story! After six months went by...I wanted to show it at my quilt guild. she gave it to me rolled into a tube...just like i gave it to her. Well..the guild loved it. And now it is hanging on my living room wall. She's NEVER asked for it back. Don't think she's even thought about it.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:25 AM

I missed this when you originally posted. Glad it popped up again. I love it!