Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My new "fan design" quilting frame >

My new "fan design" quilting frame

My new "fan design" quilting frame

Old 06-21-2010, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sabrinaquilts
I don't like to clamp the layers to a table either because I find that I end up with more puckers on the backing.
I clamp my quilts onto my glass topped dining table, If you smooth out each layer and clamp each layer, you should not get any puckers.

I don't think it would be a good idea to pin or baste layers together to puit on a hand quilting frame. I tried it once and had to take the basting stitches out. I hope this all helps.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

Louise C

I've never seen a quilt frame like this, but, it does look like it would work. Doesn't seem like it would take up alot of space for the depth. Have fun using it.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
Originally Posted by sabrinaquilts
I don't like to clamp the layers to a table either because I find that I end up with more puckers on the backing.
I clamp my quilts onto my glass topped dining table, If you smooth out each layer and clamp each layer, you should not get any puckers.

I don't think it would be a good idea to pin or baste layers together to puit on a hand quilting frame. I tried it once and had to take the basting stitches out. I hope this all helps.
My puckers happen after I put all the pins in and then move the sandwich to pin a new area. When I move to the second area to pin I can't seem to reclamp the layers down smooth again because of the overlapping of the area with pins that get in the way of the clamps.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:56 PM

would it be possible to get dimensions so i could make one,
Old 10-02-2010, 06:10 AM

OK so have you quilted a quilt in the frame yet? That is the true test. I am looking at this frame but wanted a hands on experienced person to comment that this frame was the best. Any info on how it worked when you put needle to quilt?
Old 10-03-2010, 07:43 AM

Well if you’ve look at the Grace Frames it’s the same concept and setup. I decided on this frame
because I’m a beginner and I didn’t want to spend the money on a Grace Frame because I’m new at this.
It’s trial and error for me. What I can tell you is that there is no basting, and I use clamps with small bungee cords to pull it on the sides to keep it taunt. And since I’m a beginner this frame works just fine for me.
When I received the frame she also sends instructions with it on how to set it up. All I can say is sometimes you have to take a chance. I’m not saying that is the best frame out there, but so far I love the frame,
It keeps thing simple.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:09 AM

Someone sells those on eBay. The quilting frame at church (where there's still a group of quilters each Thursday morning) is made from a mix of that idea and the old time standard type frame. At each end there's a 2 footed vertical stand with the two corner feet connected by a horizontal 2 x 4 turned so that the narrow side is turned up and is notched with slots at intervals. The 2 x 2 side pieces, that the quilt is attached to, fit into the notches. As the quilt is rolled on the side pieces, the side pieces are moved to fit into slots that are closer together. A church member who is a carpenter made it years ago.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bobby's Girl
Someone sells those on eBay. The quilting frame at church (where there's still a group of quilters each Thursday morning) is made from a mix of that idea and the old time standard type frame. At each end there's a 2 footed vertical stand with the two corner feet connected by a horizontal 2 x 4 turned so that the narrow side is turned up and is notched with slots at intervals. The 2 x 2 side pieces, that the quilt is attached to, fit into the notches. As the quilt is rolled on the side pieces, the side pieces are moved to fit into slots that are closer together. A church member who is a carpenter made it years ago.

Bobby's Girl could post pictures and maybe see the builder would share the pattern? Sounds like a good frame, something I could build myself. Thanks
Old 11-14-2010, 12:52 PM

Interesting. However, I love the beautiful quilt in your avatar.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:56 PM

I really like the colors that you used you did very nice work good job!!!! I hope to get that good someday