Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My "Practice" Charity Quilts. >

My "Practice" Charity Quilts.

My "Practice" Charity Quilts.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:51 PM

Default My "Practice" Charity Quilts.

I’ve been learning to quilt, but don’t like quilting on small squares. No Challenge I guess. I joined a local charity group and have been sewing for them. There are no quilt police here, and they appreciate anything you can do. I’ve been doing quilts for them and it is more of a challenge than scraps, and I try harder to do a better job. It is a little more of a challenge, and they can be useful. I guess it is the feeling of accomplishment. I actually pieced the first 3, and 4[SUP]th[/SUP] and 5[SUP]th[/SUP] were panels they gave me and I did a simple grid type of quilting with my walking foot. The last one was a leftover piece of fabric from years ago. I just put on borders and did a grid. Good practice. I started this about mid February, and worked straight through til I got them all done.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]400226[/ATTACH]

This was a chevron I got from my youngest sister. I used a charm pack and a few strips from a matching jelly roll for the borders.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]400227[/ATTACH]

I found these strips and the backing and border and binding in the stash donated to me by some members of he charity. Made a cute small quilt. Just did stippling all over.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]400228[/ATTACH]
This is a small quilt for a preemie. Made from 2 fat quarters and some white that we all seem to have on hand.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]400229[/ATTACH]
This one is one of the panels they provide. I used the pink border you can see, and just used my walking foot to sew around the pink line, then used the seam guide to stitch an inch away for there for the whole quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]400230[/ATTACH]
This was the other panel. As you can see I did another grid. I used masking tape to mark the first diagonal line each way, then again used the walking foot and seam guide to finish. Sure is an easy way to keep your lines straight.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]400232[/ATTACH]
This is a piece of fabric I have had for years. Couldn't decide on how to cut it, so just bordered it with some of the colors and again did a square grid with the walking foot. Sure is an easy way to quilt.

I had a lot of fun doing these. It is for a good cause and is a great way to practice. I've got tons more donated stash to “Practice” some more. Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails tll-quilts-001.jpg   tll-quilts-004.jpg   tll-quilts-005.jpg   tll-quilts-013.jpg   tll-quilts-016.jpg  

tll-quilts-018.jpg  
Old 03-06-2013, 05:20 PM

Very nice, I love the chevron.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:24 PM

Your quilts are really nice, whether practicing or not. It's good to see donation quilts suitable for boys too. There aren't always enough of those. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-06-2013, 05:24 PM

You are doing a great job. I am making two single bed quilts for our state bushfire appeal and I have machine quilted one of them so far. It was quite basic but has turned out OK and saved me both the $ and time cost involved in sending to a longarmer. I am planning to do more just for the practice.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

They are really beautiful....I particularly love the last one. Your quilting is really good....love the diamond pattern. I am sure they will be much loved by the recipients. You have obviously put a lot of thought and work into these and it shows.

Craftyheart2 well done with the work for the bushfire appeal. Once I get a couple of urgent quilts done I am planning on making a small stash of "disaster quilts".....if it's not fire here it's floods.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:33 PM

They are all very, very nice. Love that you are doing them for charity. Good for you.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:35 PM

Thank you. I had one quilt stashed for the next disaster appeal to come up but used it for a raffle when my union asked our staff to raise money initially. I am binding the 1st quilt and planning to start on the top of the 2nd one at a local retreat this weekend.

I think I might stash at least one more quilt again ready for the next appeal.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

Donation quilts are lovely and will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:36 PM

They all look great!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

all nicely done