Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My Second Quilt

This is the second quilt I've completed, a Christmas present for my father. He recently commented that he was sad his alma mater recently dropped the Little Colonel as its mascot, so when I saw this kit made by "Varsity Quilts" at the Houston Quilt Show two weeks ago, I snapped it up. Dad just celebrated his 90th birthday, so I decided to get busy and make the lap quilt for his Christmas gift -- at that age, one can't presume on the future.

I redesigned the kit so I could make this quilt using the Cotton Theory Method; took me about an hour of mental time while I was trying to fall asleep to work out the details, and viola! it worked like a charm.

Several weeks ago, I asked for advice on this board to help me with stippling. Thanks to all the comments you kind quilters shared with me, I have been practicing a lot and I can see some improvement.

My Dad was the first person in his family to graduate from college, the University of Mississippi.
    Name:  Attachment-131478.jpe
Views: 231
Size:  61.3 KB

Quilt Inspector takes a very careful look at my handiwork.
    Name:  Attachment-131479.jpe
Views: 231
Size:  42.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What a wonderful quilt. I'm sure your father will love it.

Very impressive quilting job & wonderful gift for your Father.

JT
    You did a great job on this quilt. Your second one????? It looks like a pro did it. Your Dad will be very pleased. Was the cotton theory hard to do? I have the book, and keep thinking about doing it, but haven't tried it yet. Hard?

Beautiful job!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JT
    You did a great job on this quilt. Your second one????? It looks like a pro did it. Your Dad will be very pleased. Was the cotton theory hard to do? I have the book, and keep thinking about doing it, but haven't tried it yet. Hard?
    JT,

I love Cotton Theory! It is the only way I can quilt on my domestic sewing machine. I don't think that Cotton Theory is hard; I like the fact that I quilt in manageable sections and then sew them together. If you want to try out Cotton Theory, use the book to try a small project, such as a placemat (that's how I got started, 20 placemats later I was able to tackle a lap quilt). As you may notice from studying the Cotton Theory book, I have taken liberties by doing stipple quilting instead of straight lines and decorative stitches.

Blog Entries
    Great quilt- great job on stippling!! I'm sure he will love this!!

I bet your Dad is going to love this quilt! Great job.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    What a fab gift for your Dad!! He is sure to love it.

LOVE the quilt and your quilting looks fantastic, GREAT job, now I need to go practise

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast