Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My Sons Scrappy Quilt is Done!! >

My Sons Scrappy Quilt is Done!!

My Sons Scrappy Quilt is Done!!

Old 04-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Banned

I have a list of things to do in the studio a mile long and this was one of them. I am slowly checking them off as I go before car show/swap meet season kicks into full swing.

My son is 23 yo, Autistic and is non verbal. He loves to come out and watch me sew and work in the studio (he also digs the garage just like his Dad :mrgreen: ). And he has been watching me work on his quilt ever since I told him it was his. So today I put it on for him when I changed out the bedding and he was so excited!! :-D :-D

I have cruised by his room a few times today and I caught him rubbing it and looking at all of the colors with a huge smile on his face. I can tell he likes the Hot Rod Woodies and Girls fabric, thats the one hes touching the most! :lol: :lol:

But here is his scrappy quilt..........

Billy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-43280.jpe   attachment-43281.jpe  
Old 04-03-2010, 09:58 AM

That's great! Maybe he'd be interested in trying quilting some time if he's high functioning? Or at least play with your fabric...my son isn't autistic, but when he was younger about 5 or 6 he used to love carrying around pieces of my fabric. He'd even sleep with them. So cute.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Banned

Oh he loves my treadles!!! It takes him a second to get the hang of going through the motions but when he gets going he will sew like crazy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am always helping him keep his hands and fingers a safe distance from the needle (hand over hand) but he just loves to do it. We will get out one of the treadles in here and spend an hour or so together with him sewing on long strips of fabric.

Billy
Old 04-03-2010, 10:13 AM

Having worked with autistic young people I appreciate you parents. You all have such patience and love. I just hope as an para-educator I did a good job for you all. Retired but still watching all the little ones grow up! God Bless you. :-D
Old 04-03-2010, 10:34 AM

That is heartwarming that he loves it so much!! It's lovely
Old 04-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

Awesome!!! And from the sounds of it he loves it too!!! Perfect ending :D:D:D
Old 04-03-2010, 12:13 PM

Great quilt for your son!!! What a wonderful dad you are to make him a quilt and to also teach him to use your treadle!!!
Old 04-03-2010, 01:28 PM

That's the most beautiful scrappy quilt I have ever seen. Scrappy didn't used to seem like the right word for quilts like that, but anymore when I think of a Scrappy Quilt I think of pretty quilts with lots of colors...a happy quilt. No wonder your son loves it...who wouldn't. You are an excellent quilter
Old 04-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Banned

Yeah the kiddo likes it thats for sure!! Its a Happy Quilt for a Happy Boy!!! He has always been the light of my life, no matter how bad of a day I have, I can come home and he always has a smile on his face and a hug for his Dad!!

I just noticed that I dont have the matching dust ruffle on the bed. I took the one he had on there off and I made a scrappy one to match the quilt to go back on and like the big dummy I am, I forgot all about it. :roll:

Oh well I guess next week end I will put it on when we do the bedding again. Looks kinda necked without one though........

Billy
Old 04-03-2010, 02:40 PM

Beautiful quilt! And the bed looks just too inviting! :D :D