Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My yard sale find!! >

My yard sale find!!

My yard sale find!!

Old 05-02-2016, 03:38 PM

You might try hairspray, it will take transfer ink out. I would try on small ares, the worst that will happen is that you will have to rinse off.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
Lovely find. I would try a white pencil eraser if you get no other responses in this thread.
A long time ago I was told to use one of those tan gum erasers, still have mine-somewhere in my sewing room.
The fabrics look like they are from the 30's, what a treasure and for next to nothing.
Jan
Old 05-03-2016, 03:00 AM

wow, someone certainly put a lot of time into that quilt top... lucky you. If it's only pencil marking, it should wash out when laundered.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:21 AM

Default Great yard sale find!

I wonder if all of my stuff, fabric, UFO's, patterns, tools will end of in a yard sale too or goodwill? I have sons. Daughters-in-law don't sew! A 2/4 year old granddaughters who I am going to start teaching ASAP!
Old 05-03-2016, 04:24 AM

I was given a set of 72 Dresden Plates. I don't really like some of the fabrics in them, but will finish them someday if I live long enough. I want to do them QAYG. I will glue the layers of each plate together so that they don't shift. Then I want to use the buttonhole stitch around the plates with black thread in the bobbin. I will have to stop precisely at the spot where the center circle starts. Won't be easy, but I will have to mark it well. Then when I button hole around that center circle, it will be a reversible quilt.
I could do it Betty Cotton style.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:48 AM

I don't know if this would work for you or not, but you might try some marking pencil removal spray from Quilter's Rule Int'l. I think I ordered mine from Nancy's Notion, can't remember for sure, bur here is the web site www.quiltersrule.com. Their location is in Waterford, Wisc. I can't say that it works, because I forgot I had it and I haven't used any of it yet. The directions on the bottle does say it removes general pencils and graphite leads, so it may work for you. The markings on your new acquisition appears to be on white, so you probably wouldn't have to do a fabric test first. Beautiful quilt, sure hope you can find something that works for you.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:51 AM

There is a commercial product available to remove marking pencils lines. It is by Quilter's Rule International; they used to have a website, don't know if they still do or not. It worked pretty well for me, when I bought it about 5-6 years ago, and cost was $7.95, but it was worth it to me. I messed up my marking of quilting lines, and this took the lines out so I could start over. Loved it.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:02 AM

Boy, oh boy, did you find a treasure!! I don't go to yard sales anymore 'cause I don't need to spend the $. Need to down size....
Old 05-03-2016, 05:09 AM

I would replace the white border....for the $5 price it's affordable.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:08 AM

I vote for either copying the markings on other corners and quilting OR copying markings and embroider.