Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Mystery Quilt Gone Wrong

This is what I finished yesterday. I had taken a Mystery Quilt class and I didn't like the way the top turned out, my colors weren't right and I was not happy with the way it laid (I am a square it up kind of person as I sew, and I didn't do that with this mystery) I know alot of you are going to look at the first picture and think, wow, you didn't like this, well as I said it just didn't laid right and the outer border colors were not working for me. It is not that the pattern was bad, it was an excellent pattern, it was my color choices and not squaring up that caused me problems.

So, even though I wanted to toss the whole thing in the garbage, I decided to take it apart and make use of the fabric some other way. I am much happier with the Reworked version. (I am sure I can find a home for it someday.) However, I could use some ideas....I would like to embroider a few designs on the white blocks and maybe the solid green blocks. It seems the quilt top needs alittle something extra. Any ideas!

Mystery Quilt Top
    Name:  Attachment-244617.jpe
Views: 42
Size:  99.8 KB

Mystery Quilt Top Reworked
    Name:  Attachment-244618.jpe
Views: 45
Size:  67.9 KB

Blog Entries
    With the reworked version, I think I would quilt the white & green areas using a strongly contrasting thread in a leaf/vine pattern. Maybe dark green thread on the white and white on the green.
    Can you incorporate the star in the backing?

Blog Entries
    I like it, I think you did a very nice job.

Blog Entries
    Your second top turned out nice. I think you just needed to change out the green and striped fabric, especially the striped.

Quote Originally Posted by lindy
    Your second top turned out nice. I think you just needed to change out the green and striped fabric, especially the striped.
    I thought that the top was very pretty but didn't care for the striped border either. Love the revised version.

Blog Entries
    How about adding a few Appliques. Maybe a birdhouse with a few birds and flowers?

Embroidery or feathers in the quilting will help give it something special. Love the colors

Nice quilt