Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Nan's Wholecloth Star....quilted by Charisma >

Nan's Wholecloth Star....quilted by Charisma

Nan's Wholecloth Star....quilted by Charisma

Old 09-12-2013, 09:28 AM
Banned

Default Nan's Wholecloth Star....quilted by Charisma

Do you all remember my Creme Brulee quilt from Feline Fanatic some time ago?

Here is a link to jog your memory:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t184706.html

I have to say that I shed tears over that quilt. FF and I have become good friends and I treasure our friendship more than that quilt.....but this quilt is high on my list of treasures. I have also taken it to every quilts show I have done...and I give Jane all the credit. She is truly and artist and a soul sista! I think one of the elements of a good quilter is to know who the quilt belongs to and make a story. FF did that with this quilt and it tells a story of me.
Huntannette is also trying to do that with hers. She and I have been trading services for quite some time. She takes all of my scraps and turns them into lovely quilt tops for me...and I LAQ for her in exchange for my quilt tops. It's a great arrangement.

Nan wanted a quilt like this for her daughter. So she got the pattern. It's called "Stash Buster" it's a local pattern by my quilt shop. I can send you the name/link if you want it. I think it's cost is about 5-6$.
then I asked her several questions about her daughter so I could make a plan. I would never try to duplicate my quilt design because it's far to special to me....however I was willing to make a new personal plan for hers.
Just like I think each person is unique..so should the quilts be. I also must admit I shed tears being on this side of the quilt after I got Nan's reaction. It felt really good to please her.

Stash buster had always been made using bright colorful fabrics and I decided to use neutrals. We had never seen one made like that at the shop (again it's a local pattern...so you tend to see lots of all the local patterns). So Nan did the same thing...it just creates an element of surprise to use a pieced backing. I love the effect.

So I started with the circles in the center, built the monogram boxes from those...and then the star points from the boxes. There is a feather garland that goes around ..behind the star points. The initials are for the names in the family. I also quilted in a special message to Nan's daughter from her mom in the background quilting.
The quilt is not perfect. I have discovered circles are really difficult..so I will need to practice those. But it's a lesson and I am a flawed human being. No computer quilting.
I used a straight edge ruler for all my straight lines, a curved ruler for the center cross hatching and the rest was all my own hand. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

I used two layers of batting. A layer of legacy 80/20 and a layer of hobbs poly down batting. I also used a shiny metro thread....in a neutral tone. It just adds a bit of a sheen. Beautiful.

Thanks for looking! Thanks Nan! XOXOX
Attached Thumbnails img_6363.jpg   img_6362.jpg   img_6365.jpg   img_6366.jpg   img_6368.jpg  

img_6367.jpg   img_6370.jpg  
Old 09-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

totally fabulous
Old 09-12-2013, 09:33 AM

That is a show stopper! Just incredible quilting. I am usually quite a talker... and this one leaves me speechless... well all except for one word...... WOW!
Old 09-12-2013, 10:01 AM

WOW for me too! A picture says a thousand words!!!!!
Old 09-12-2013, 10:06 AM

One word....BEAUTIFUL!!! You just amaze me! Thanks for sharing...
Old 09-12-2013, 10:14 AM

Wow! Stupendous!
Old 09-12-2013, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

Oh my heavens, that is absolutely incredible!!!
Old 09-12-2013, 10:22 AM

I love looking at your quilts, but the thing I love the most is the short story you tell about each one. Because that is why I quilt-I like to connect the quilt with the story, both my own and others. So thank you for always including a little something to demonstrate the uniqueness of each one. <3
Old 09-12-2013, 10:42 AM

Awesome!!!!
Old 09-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

wow is all I can say

nice