Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
napping quilt for my daughter, Meagan >

napping quilt for my daughter, Meagan

napping quilt for my daughter, Meagan

Old 09-29-2009, 03:55 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

wow ! Looks like something from a magazine.

Please, tell me how you quilted it? Did you use a regular machine or a long arm? I have often wondered how that is done.

I love the colors.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by chairjogger
wow ! Looks like something from a magazine.

Please, tell me how you quilted it? Did you use a regular machine or a long arm? I have often wondered how that is done.

I love the colors.
Thank you! I just have a regular sewing machine, not a longarm. Hopefully, someday that will change. :D
Old 09-29-2009, 10:24 PM

Eddie,

Somehow I missed this thread. When I saw it tonight, I first looked at the post and pics of the quilt. I have to admit my first thought was that this was a rather sophisticated choice of fabrics for a napping age toddler. Then I looked to see who posted it and realized that your daughter Meagan is a teenager, I believe, which makes much more sense. :mrgreen:

Anyway, it's a beautiful quilt and your quilting looks great. So glad to hear you enjoyed doing FMQ. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to and hope I'm successful. Have you ever read Diane Gaudynski's book "Guide to Machine Quilting?" She's a world-renowned home machine heirloom quilter and started machine quilting using a vintage machine (which I'll also be doing). She tells a story in the book about one of her early experiences with machine quilting. She was so intent and focused on quilting that she didn't realize her sewing machine was burning up. Her husband came home to find the basement full of smoke while Diane was busily quilting. She hadn't noticed the smoke or realized her shoe was melting to the foot pedal until her husband pointed it out! I hope my vintage machine holds up a little better than hers did. Now she uses a Bernina.

Anyway, good job! Has your other daughter asked for a napping quilt yet?

Sandy
Old 09-29-2009, 10:53 PM

you done a great job on quilt.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sandy1951
Eddie,

Somehow I missed this thread. When I saw it tonight, I first looked at the post and pics of the quilt. I have to admit my first thought was that this was a rather sophisticated choice of fabrics for a napping age toddler. Then I looked to see who posted it and realized that your daughter Meagan is a teenager, I believe, which makes much more sense. :mrgreen:

Anyway, it's a beautiful quilt and your quilting looks great. So glad to hear you enjoyed doing FMQ. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to and hope I'm successful. Have you ever read Diane Gaudynski's book "Guide to Machine Quilting?" She's a world-renowned home machine heirloom quilter and started machine quilting using a vintage machine (which I'll also be doing). She tells a story in the book about one of her early experiences with machine quilting. She was so intent and focused on quilting that she didn't realize her sewing machine was burning up. Her husband came home to find the basement full of smoke while Diane was busily quilting. She hadn't noticed the smoke or realized her shoe was melting to the foot pedal until her husband pointed it out! I hope my vintage machine holds up a little better than hers did. Now she uses a Bernina.

Anyway, good job! Has your other daughter asked for a napping quilt yet?

Sandy
Holy smokes, burning up a sewing machine! Goodness, I think I would have noticed the smoke and the hot foot! :shock:

I was looking at that book you mentioned just the other day on Amazon and was thinking about getting it. I think I must just go do that now.

Olivia will probably be wanting one now, too, although she tends to nap in her room anyway where her quilts are so maybe she'll be content with those. :)
Old 09-30-2009, 12:04 PM

I think I'd notice the smoke and hot foot, too. At least, I'd like to think I would! :lol:

It's an excellent book. Diane's web site is very good as well and she recently started a blog which is also very helpful. She also has a more recent book, a Quilt Savvy book from the AQS, "Gaudynski's Machine Quilting Guidebook." It's not as comprehensive as her "Guide to Machine Quilting," but it's a nice, small, wire-bound book that can be easily set up beside the sewing machine. I bought it because none of the libraries I order from have it, but I can still get her first book.

I also like Harriet Hargrave's "Heirloom Machine Quilting" and Sue McNickels' "Machine Quilting: A Primer of Techniques."

Happy quilting!
Old 09-30-2009, 12:08 PM

Thanks, Sandy. I was reading a review on Amazon about a beginner's type book for machine quilting and the reviewer mentioned all 3 of those authors as having books more suitable to the quilter who is beyond just the beginner stage. It wasn't a slam at the beginner book, just saying that those 3 authors kind of took it to the next level so that if you have any experience at all then it would be good to go ahead and check them out. Now that I've done some FMQ, I am hooked and thoroughly addicted to it. I think I may never do SID again unless it's just for a quick gift. :) So I'm definately going to be looking for resources to take the stitching up a notch.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:17 PM

What a wonderful thing to do for her!! Love the colors and your quilting is excellent!!
Old 11-08-2009, 06:40 PM

WOW, your turned out beautiful!