Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help With Background Color for my Kaleidescope

Hi Everyone: Yesterday our quilt group met and learned how to do a Kaleidescope block which I absolutely LOVE. I had burgundy picked out but my block didn't seem to "POP" with the burgundy. My sewing group thought either gold or yellow and a couple thought shades of green. May I have your opinion. The flowers and the little berries on the block fabric are deep burgundy...the burgundy I picked out is a FLAT color...it's the only piece of fabric in that color that I could find that was 100% cotton so I bought it but once the block segments were laid out on it it just looked very flat. What do you think??? I would appreciate your opinions. Thank you.

Gold/yellow/tan tone on tone
    Name:  Attachment-52943.jpe
Views: 43
Size:  53.7 KB

Burgundy background
    Name:  Attachment-52944.jpe
Views: 45
Size:  42.3 KB

Dark Green
    Name:  Attachment-52945.jpe
Views: 45
Size:  60.6 KB

Another couple pictures.

Lighter, sage green
    Name:  Attachment-52937.jpe
Views: 43
Size:  55.6 KB

The fabric BEFORE we cut it up to make the Kaleidescope.
    Name:  Attachment-52939.jpe
Views: 39
Size:  53.0 KB

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like the burgandy, but since you don't, my next pick is dark green.

These are the quilt blocks our teacher made to show us all the different blocks that she was able to make out of her VERY UGLY DUCK fabric that she got at a garage sale ....9 YARDS for $1.00! Didn't her blocks turn out pretty?

Teacher's blocks made from the ugliest fabric in the world...great big ducks, and all kinds of stuff on the fabric none of which was attractive in any way but it sure worked for this Kaleidescope block.
    Name:  Attachment-47385.jpe
Views: 40
Size:  53.5 KB

I like the light green myself. It pops nicely and the light green isn't overpowering. :D :D :D

Okey-dokey, Miss Feathers. This is a tough choice. I like the burgundy too because it really brings out the burgundy in your focus fabric, but you don't like it. So, I THINK I like the yellow as my second choice. It is very subtle. I would have to see more than just that one block on the yellow to know for sure.

BTW--your fabric is just gorgeous and so are the blocks you made from it.

I want to second Marcia's point about making more than one block before deciding what your background will be.
    The reason is revealed in your teacher's sample - - each block will look different, with different colors being accented.
    The burgundy looks flat because dark colors recede, the lights in your block pop forward, and I do believe that the burgundy really highlights the red in your berries.
    However
    I like your dark green ... it makes everything look rich, including the background.
    I love colors and can hardly wait to see how you work this puzzle out

I like the dark green,

Blog Entries
    Well I liked the burgandy, but since you are not convinced then the dark green is my next choice. I think the dark green makes everything pop . But as the others have said maybe put a couple more blocks on the fabric and see what happens.

I seem to be alone but I like the yellow/gold the best. I think it really shows off the block nicely...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast