Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help deciding how to quilt this turtle wall hanging for our bathroom

Need help deciding how to quilt this turtle wall hanging for our bathroom

We are in the midst of a master bath renovation, compliments of my DH. It is looking fantastic but I thought it needed a bit of color on the blank wall above the jacuzzi tub. I have had this pattern forever, Turtle Trail by Pie Plate Patterns, but decided to change the turtle applique into more of a sea turtle. It reminds me of our trip to Maui and snorkeling with the sea turtles. I am at a total loss of how to quilt it however. I will do it on my DSM and have had some practice with FMQing. I can follow a traced pattern and meander etc. but am not proficient at doing an all over design like the beautiful Charisma curls : ) Any suggestions?
    Name:  turtle quilt top.JPG
Views: 1459
Size:  1.24 MB

Blog Entries
    very nice quilt

Beautiful quilt! I'm sure whatever you decide to do will be equally as beautiful

Hi Emilia's Nana, I LOVE your turtle quilt. Please bear with me while I TRY to explain what I'm picturing for a quilting suggestion. If you could quilt wavy lines in the tan triangle where the turtles are, then it could look like turtles in the sand. Then if you could just follow the curves in the cat tails(that's what I call them for lack of a better term), then I think that would be enough quilting. Perhaps wavy lines in the border, also. Being that it's a wallhanging, I'm thinking that it doesn't need to be quilted heavily, as it won't need to be washed as often, therefore heavy quilting wouldn't be necessary. (???) I'm not too experienced myself, but if you look at the post by Crafty 1 with regard to her Shadowbox Top Quilted and Done, she has quilted wavy lines in her lighter color, so that's where I thought you could do your tan triangles with the turtles in them. Again, please forgive me if you don't understand what I'm trying to describe, but also know that no matter how you quilt it, I LOVE your quilt/wallhanging.
    Use your smile to change the world, but don't let the world change your smile.

Do water and swirls. Very pretty!
    A quilt is a hug for future generations.

I love your turtle quilt. I am obsessed with turtles.
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

Blog Entries
    I did one similar. I quilted swirls behind the turtles and a wavy line fill in the colored areas. Hopefully you can zoom in on the photo and see.

Name:  Picture1.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  72.9 KB

Your quilt is beautiful! It will be the highlight of your new bathroom.

Looks like great bathroom quilt!
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Not sure on the quilting. Really nice quilt!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast