Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Need help/opinions on bargello background color >

Need help/opinions on bargello background color

Need help/opinions on bargello background color

Old 01-13-2011, 05:21 PM

I've always wanted to make a bargello wallhanging and chose a pattern Infinity from "Twist and Turn Bargello Quilts" by Eileen Wright. The pattern looks like a ribbon/loop. It calls for 20 fabrics in one color family with the lightest 10 colors for the inside of the loop and the darker 10 make up the outside of the ribbon/loop. The picture in the book was made up of reds agaisnt a black background. Because I am new to this, I decided to use a color I had the most of in my stash.....blue. My question is this......what color would you use for your background??? My dark end of the blues I chose would get lost agaisnt a black background but if I go with a light color background, the whole project changes. Does anyone have any suggestions before I hit the fabric shop this weekend??? The moment the question came to my mind, I knew this was the place to ask for help :) I always learn "sew" much from all the experienced quilters who gather here. Thank you :)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-159694.jpe   attachment-159695.jpe   attachment-159696.jpe  
Old 01-13-2011, 05:40 PM

If you have 20 different fabrics in blue hiding away in your stash is it time to start buying a few other colors??? LOL
Old 01-13-2011, 05:42 PM

Have you considered purple?? I love purple with teals and turquoise and I see some of those in your selection.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

I found an example of that design online here - http://www.quiltsforsale.ca/DB/searc...me.php?QID=538

How about using yellow for the background? Blue and yelloe quilts always look good.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:53 PM

I like the idea of adding purple..............
Old 01-13-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
I found an example of that design online here - http://www.quiltsforsale.ca/DB/searc...me.php?QID=538

How about using yellow for the background? Blue and yelloe quilts always look good.
Thank you for posting the link Dunster:) I love yellows......my very 1st quilt I made (my avatar) is in blues/yellows. Would you use a bright, vibrant yellow or a paler hue??
I also considered a deep purple, as suggested above, but wondered if I wouldn't have the same problem as I would with black and losing the contrast.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lori L
Originally Posted by dunster

Thank you for posting the link Dunster:) I love yellows......my very 1st quilt I made (my avatar) is in blues/yellows. Would you use a bright, vibrant yellow or a paler hue??
I also considered a deep purple, as suggested above, but wondered if I wouldn't have the same problem as I would with black and losing the contrast.
If you can't find any yellow that works in your stash, I think I would take the fabrics (or a little piece of them, maybe glued in order to a piece of cardboard) to the fabric shop to see what sets them off best.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

A medium yellow would be very nice~
Old 01-13-2011, 07:03 PM

take it with you and walk the aisles of the fabric store - something will jump out as just the right thing
Old 01-14-2011, 02:06 AM

how about maroon? it is dark but would not cause the dark blue to get lost. it is also close to purple.